Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe[_4_] John Doe[_4_] is offline

Default Self Centering Vise - Cheap

Yup. I get the impression Grizzly is the online version of Harbor
Freight. The vise brake I just bought was pathetically made.

Like Harbor Freight, Grizzly sells lots of "tool shaped objects"...

Ned Simmons wrote:

The larger version of that vise (Grizzly H7576 centering vise) is
pretty bad. I've purchased perhaps 10 of them. The first couple were
quite good for the money, the most recent have been crap. There was
.080 - .100 end play in the screws, so a hole could be off-center by
at least .040-.050. I had to make & install thrust washers to make
them usable. Oh yeah, the end plates were not screwed on tightly so
they could squirm to accommodate the wonky journals on the ends of the
screw. The jaws are shimmed with newspaper to make their faces
parallel.

I wrote a review with my observations, Grizzly refused to post it. As
a test, I created a fake account and wrote a glowing review of some
tool I had never purchased. That one went up right away g.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 14:32:17 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I asked about this sometime back and I seem to recall the cheap ones
like this were not reported to repeat all that well.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...al-060516_box4

How bad was not that well? A couple thousandths? A couple hundreds? A
couple inches?

When I drill hinge pin holes in molds I've got them laid out so the
position isn't all that critical. The closer to "prefect" it is the
prettier it looks when open, but it will open and close just fine with
it pretty far off. A few to several thousandths might not even be
noticeable to most people. If I could drop a 1" thick mold in and then
go to a 1.5" or 2" and always be within a few thousandths of the
original located center I'd be pretty happy with it.

I'd remove the swivel base and machine off those stupid ears so I could
just drop it in a vise on the table of course.

I've been doing more and more hinged molds lately, and the time to setup
and drill hinge pins adds up. Well, along with setting alignment pins,
and putting on handles, etc, etc.

I'm at that point where I am exploring acceptable tolerances in order to
maximize productive use of time. Hinges can be sloppy if alignment pins
are close. Alignment pins go in faster if a starting lead and a press
fit are both machined in before it comes out of the vise. My bigger
machines are faster for major roughing, and if I plan the job well the
high speed machines can do the detail work faster, etc etc etc...