Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Self Centering Vise - Cheap

I asked about this sometime back and I seem to recall the cheap ones
like this were not reported to repeat all that well.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...al-060516_box4

How bad was not that well? A couple thousandths? A couple hundreds? A
couple inches?

When I drill hinge pin holes in molds I've got them laid out so the
position isn't all that critical. The closer to "prefect" it is the
prettier it looks when open, but it will open and close just fine with
it pretty far off. A few to several thousandths might not even be
noticeable to most people. If I could drop a 1" thick mold in and then
go to a 1.5" or 2" and always be within a few thousandths of the
original located center I'd be pretty happy with it.

I'd remove the swivel base and machine off those stupid ears so I could
just drop it in a vise on the table of course.

I've been doing more and more hinged molds lately, and the time to setup
and drill hinge pins adds up. Well, along with setting alignment pins,
and putting on handles, etc, etc.

I'm at that point where I am exploring acceptable tolerances in order to
maximize productive use of time. Hinges can be sloppy if alignment pins
are close. Alignment pins go in faster if a starting lead and a press
fit are both machined in before it comes out of the vise. My bigger
machines are faster for major roughing, and if I plan the job well the
high speed machines can do the detail work faster, etc etc etc...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The larger version of that vise (Grizzly H7576 centering vise) is
pretty bad. I've purchased perhaps 10 of them. The first couple were
quite good for the money, the most recent have been crap. There was
..080 - .100 end play in the screws, so a hole could be off-center by
at least .040-.050. I had to make & install thrust washers to make
them usable. Oh yeah, the end plates were not screwed on tightly so
they could squirm to accommodate the wonky journals on the ends of the
screw. The jaws are shimmed with newspaper to make their faces
parallel.

I wrote a review with my observations, Grizzly refused to post it. As
a test, I created a fake account and wrote a glowing review of some
tool I had never purchased. That one went up right away g.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yup. I get the impression Grizzly is the online version of Harbor
Freight. The vise brake I just bought was pathetically made.

Like Harbor Freight, Grizzly sells lots of "tool shaped objects"...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/06/2019 17:08, Bob La Londe wrote:
Have you tried the more expensive name brand versions?Â* Where they
worth it?

Shimmed with newspapers?Â* Did they come that way?

Obviously cheaply made if news paper was used, a proper job would have
used Rizla cigarette paper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rizla . Used in
the past as an indicator by machinists to show the tool was at the work
surface as they're very thin.

wrote:

I asked about this sometime back and I seem to recall the cheap ones
like this were not reported to repeat all that well.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...al-060516_box4

How bad was not that well?Â* A couple thousandths?Â* A couple hundreds?Â* A
couple inches?

When I drill hinge pin holes in molds I've got them laid out so the
position isn't all that critical.Â* The closer to "prefect" it is the
prettier it looks when open, but it will open and close just fine with
it pretty far off.Â* A few to several thousandths might not even be
noticeable to most people.Â* If I could drop a 1" thick mold in and then
go to a 1.5" or 2" and always be within a few thousandths of the
original located center I'd be pretty happy with it.

I'd remove the swivel base and machine off those stupid ears so I could
just drop it in a vise on the table of course.

I've been doing more and more hinged molds lately, and the time to setup
and drill hinge pins adds up.Â* Well, along with setting alignment pins,
and putting on handles, etc, etc.

I'm at that point where I am exploring acceptable tolerances in order to
maximize productive use of time.Â* Hinges can be sloppy if alignment pins
are close.Â* Alignment pins go in faster if a starting lead and a press
fit are both machined in before it comes out of the vise.Â* My bigger
machines are faster for major roughing, and if I plan the job well the
high speed machines can do the detail work faster, etc etc etc...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, every one came with shims behind the jaws. I would never have
known except these aren't used as vises. I make them into work rests
for gun drills & deep hole hones, in effect adjustable v-blocks. The
stock jaws get pitched and replaced with custom jaws. Which reminds
me, the jaw fastening screws seem to be in a different location in
every batch of vises.

I've looked for alternatives but haven't used them. The prices on
those I've found are much higher. Maybe if there's a next time. I've
had it with Grizzly.

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:08:01 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Have you tried the more expensive name brand versions? Where they worth it?

Shimmed with newspapers? Did they come that way?

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

VHS tape is a cheap alternative. The tape on the spool in my toolbox
is .0008" thick.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/06/2019 21:40, Ned Simmons wrote:
VHS tape is a cheap alternative. The tape on the spool in my toolbox
is .0008" thick.

Thanks I'll bear that in mind, I was thinking of binning my compact
cassettes for the camcorder as it's obsolete these days but from what
you say the tape might be worth keeping a few for other uses. I binned a
bunch of new unopened quality cassette tapes some years back and only
later found out they were worth £6 or more each.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 15:59:46 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

Yes, every one came with shims behind the jaws. I would never have
known except these aren't used as vises. I make them into work rests
for gun drills & deep hole hones, in effect adjustable v-blocks. The
stock jaws get pitched and replaced with custom jaws. Which reminds
me, the jaw fastening screws seem to be in a different location in
every batch of vises.

I've looked for alternatives but haven't used them. The prices on
those I've found are much higher. Maybe if there's a next time. I've
had it with Grizzly.

Are you guys giving Griz the feedback on this every time?
What do they say? What is their actual policy on it?

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Before writing the review I pointed out the problems to customer
service more than once in the hope that they'd address the issues and
that future units would be as good as the first few I purchased.

Compare the angry comments on Grizzly's Facebook page to the almost
exclusively positive reviews on their website and it's pretty obvious
they're censoring the reviews. At least Harbor Freight doesn't hide
their warts.