Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Kenyon John Kenyon is offline

Default Steps for rear doors into garden - building regs

On 04/06/2019 12:12, Bert Coules wrote:
I'd be grateful for any pointers to the relevant regs covering external
steps from back doors (one conventional, one patio) into a garden. I've
looked online but for some reason can't find exactly the information I'm
after.

The drop involved is 24" / 600mm and the steps will be going onto a
garden surface which currently is grassed but will eventually be paved,
so there's a possibility that whatever steps are built now will
eventually have to be replaced if they can't be removed, adapted and
refitted.

There will be two separate sets of steps, the widest around 39" / 1m.
These steps are from a recently-built rear extension and the work can't
be signed off until they're done, so I need to know if (for example)
side handrails and bannister-type railings are necessary, and also any
standards regarding materials and strength.

What do the Building Regulations "Access to and use of buildings:
Approved Document M" say?