Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default netbook connectivity problem.

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 23:04:36 +0100, ss wrote:

I need to call it quits for tonight as been at this since 4pm and my
head is buzzing.
I will try again tomorrow.
My apologies if it appears I am going around in circles but most of the
terminology and abbreviations are foreign to me and I am having to
google to try and stay on track.

It can be a nightmare, especially if it isn't 'your thing'. ;-)

I would try to get some baselines to work from.

1) With your netbook wifi networking properties set to 'Automatic',
can you successfully connect to any 'other' WiFi networks?

If 'yes' then it's likely an issue / compatibility issue between your
Netbook (WiFi card / driver / OS / firewall / stored settings) and
your VM Hub (/settings). There was a default setting in the VM hub (I
used mine in Modem mode with a different Router) that could impact
some older WiFi cards.

If no then it could be a fault somewhere within your OS / hardware.
Booting a live Linux USB image may help to isolate the hardware from
the installed OS. [1]

(Same applies to WiFi / Wired)

Be careful to not confuse local connectivity (where you first get
valid IP addresses for the Netbook and Default Gateway) via DHCP (or
put them in manually, if it's a DHCP issue) and then see if you can
connect to your router (192.168.0.1 in your browser) with failing to
connect to anything outside your local network.

If you can't seem to connect to your router from a browser, try
opening up a command prompt and typing:

ping 192.168.0.1 (return)

On this XP box (running on a Mac Mini) I get (my router is on .02)

C:\Documents and Settings\Macping 192.168.0.2

Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:

Is good, whereas this wouldn't be:

C:\Documents and Settings\Macping 192.168.0.3

Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:

Ping can show a connection when a browser fails for various reasons.

Cheers, T i m

[1] If you don't have a LiveUSB / DVD image I thoroughly recommend to
get / make one as they are ideal for Go / No-Go testing hardware and
in situations like these. If you have a USB stick (8-16G should be
fine) you can download something light, like the latest version of
Mint MATE (32 bit) and 'burn' it to your PEN stick. Stick it in the
netbook, reboot and get up the boot menu (sometimes F12 or similar)
and choose the USB stick. If all is well, you should get Linux running
from that and will often detect your WiFi / Ethernet automagically.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/w...mate-32bit.iso

https://linuxmint-installation-guide...test/burn.html

https://www.balena.io/etcher/