Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Steps for rear doors into garden - building regs

Steve Walker wrote:

But for outdoors, where someone does not use a wheelchair, steps are
usually a lot safer, especially in icy weather. Ramps also take up a lot
of space.

I feel that in most cases, it would be better not to generally provide
level access, ramps and other disabled friendly items, but to give 100%
grants for specific changes needed in each home, as and when required -
even for houses where disabled people only visit occassionally - thus
not burdening people with unneccessary designs that they do not want,
while providing exactly what they need, if required.

Walking through a recently-built estate near me, I was noticing
that many, but not all, the houses appeared to have level access
to their front doors. One than had a ramp for several metres, at
which point there was 90 degree turn with a set of steps. ??

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1