Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steps for rear doors into garden - building regs

On 04/06/2019 22:40, Bert Coules wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Most people seem now to be building ramps not steps, I guess it is
probably due to them all getting on in years and may end up in a
wheelchair.

My sense of balance is sometimes a little shaky.Â* I actually find it
more awkward (and occasionally distinctly unsettling) to walk up and
down a ramp than to negotiate steps.

Yes. My wife suffers from balance problems - a legacy of preganancy
hormones affecting brain's processing of visual and inner ear balance
signals. Apparently the signals arrive at different times and the brain
correct for the lag of the visual signals, but in her case, the
correction has been affected.

She struggles enough with steps - especially going downwards - and has
to take it slow and hang onto the handrail. On ramps that's not enough
and she hangs on to me as well.

SteveW