Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Steps for rear doors into garden - building regs

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

Over 600mm change in level you need a landing regardless of the door
opening in .....over 600mm you need a balustrade on the landing and a
handrail to the stair ....well that is how it was 10 years ago in
Scotland but things might be sillier these days ......

Thanks for that. The drop from my two doors is pretty much exactly 600mm
but I was imagining the first step to be below that rather than level with
it. The back door opens outwards, the patio door sideways (of course)
which might also affect things, I suppose.

usually works out we accepted a max of four steps at a push with no
landing.......whether there was a slip step or not it should be measured
from floor level to average ground level .......the door can't open over
steps....wife is still listening to your Shelrock holmes when out mowing the
lawn .......thanks for keeping her quiet for me....tee hee