Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Steps for rear doors into garden - building regs

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'd be grateful for any pointers to the relevant regs covering external
steps from back doors (one conventional, one patio) into a garden. I've
looked online but for some reason can't find exactly the information I'm
after.

The drop involved is 24" / 600mm and the steps will be going onto a garden
surface which currently is grassed but will eventually be paved, so
there's a possibility that whatever steps are built now will eventually
have to be replaced if they can't be removed, adapted and refitted.

There will be two separate sets of steps, the widest around 39" / 1m.
These steps are from a recently-built rear extension and the work can't be
signed off until they're done, so I need to know if (for example) side
handrails and bannister-type railings are necessary, and also any
standards regarding materials and strength.

Many thanks.

over 600mm change in level you need a landing regardless of the door opening
in .....over 600mm you need a balustrade on the landing and a handrail to
the stair ....well that is how it was 10 years ago in Scotland but things
might be sillier these days ......