Posted to uk.d-i-y
Farmer Giles[_2_] Farmer Giles[_2_] is offline

Default Gabions

On 04/06/2019 10:00, Steve Walker wrote:
On 04/06/2019 08:08, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 04/06/2019 06:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, 3 June 2019 18:58:03 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ...Â* wrote:

Does anyone know what happens to a gabion retaining wall when the
steel baskets have rusted away?Â* Is it meant to have filled up with
enough earth and vegetation by then that it just stays put, maybe
helped by interlocking stones in the fill?

it fails...50 years life...timber retaining walls have 100 years life

50 years if you buy your gabions from a good supplier. I have
installed quite a lot over a number of years on my property - mostly
on a river bank.

I usually get them from a manufacturer/supplier in Shropshire -
https://www.finemeshmetals.co.uk/ - and they are perfect after a
number of years. However, a while back I needed just a couple of small
ones to finish something off and got them off Ebay. They were rusting
within a couple of years - so beware.

I wonder what the price and lifetime difference is for stainless-steel?

SteveW

I have no idea, I've only ever used what they call their 'Galfan' finish
- which is supposed to last four times as long as just galvanised. Also,
the 5mm wire type would obviously last longer than the 4mm type which I
have used - but they would be more expensive.