eddy eagle

Default New roof - shingles, underneath wood, and extra insulation?

wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:54:35 GMT, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

What I want to do is have the roof shingles replaced and possibly the
underlying wood (perhaps have them tear it up and lay down plywood). I also
want to see if they can lay (or blow) in additional insulation material when
the roof is open. I also want them to put in a rubber membrane at the
gutter line (up to about 18 or 24 inches) to help prevent ice dams and water
backup.

These are all good ideas (particularly the new underlayment/plywood
and the ice/water shield). If your attic truly is unfinished, with
rafters exposed on the underside of the roof, you should investigate
insulating with icynene. It is probably the best insulating material
available. I would have done this myself if my attic were not
completely finished off; instead I had fiberglass insulation blown in.
Be sure to install appropriate and sufficient ventilation: many
soffit vents with air channels up to ridge vents.

All good suggestions above. I like the idea of going further up the
roof with the snow and ice shield, at least two courses instead of the
common code requirement for a single course.
The insulation and ventilation work together. Often the roofing folks
just care about the roofing part of the job. If you can find someone
that will tackle the job as a roofing "system" you will be ahead.