volts500

Default Antenna Grounding

"PJx" wrote in message

Here is some good info:
http://www.orlandodigital.tv/Lightning.htm

If you feel you need to tie it in to other grounds, I'd run a bare
copper wire, buried around the outside of your foundation to tie in
with the copper rod used for your electrical ground.

Do NOT, under any circumstance, ever run a grounding wire of any
type from your mast to the inside your house.

Pj

That website is crap. I like how they use the word "ideally" so casually.
Here's what they are _really_ saying: "We'll attach the TV antenna ground
to the electric power ground _IF_ it is readily available, otherwise, we're
gonna screw you 'cause you are a clueless homeowner and you don't know any
better." "We could care less that _not_ connecting the TV antenna to the
electric power grounding system presents a possible shock and fire hazard as
long as our installers are in and out of there in one half hour or less."

Unfortunately, people who sell and install TV, cable, satellite, etc. are
the LAST people you want to ask about proper grounding of
same.....especially if the installation is "free". If the electric power
grounding system is _readily_ available to them, they will use it. If not,
they will drive a ground rod, not connect it to the electric power grounding
system and call it a done deal. They will connect to an outside water
spigot if they can find one. Properly grounding a TV antennna, cable TV,
satellite, or whatever can easily turn into an _all_ day_ job_, and they
don't want anything to "kill the sale."
I find it interesting that these same people will also have all kinds of
surge and lightning protection equipment to sell you after you call them
saying that your TV was blown out.

If you want to read what electrical industry profesionals, who have no
financial interest, have to say about the matter, try this:
http://www.mikeholt.com/technical.php?id=grounding/unformatted/satellite&type=u&title=Satellite%20Dish%20(1-12-2K)