Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inverter generator Do I need that?

On Sat, 25 May 2019 10:31:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/25/2019 1:29 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2019 23:44:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have to do some more checking, but mostly the fridge is the big value
thing to keep going. Gas range and grill takes care of cooking, city
water.

A natural gas house should run fine on a little 2kw inverter. Look at
any 240v (2 pole) breakers in the panel because those pieces of
equipment are not going to work. The other issue is trying to put
transfer equipment on your panel will be tough too since you will only
be able to feed one phase. You also would have to be sure all 240v
breakers were tripped.

I'm going to use cords for now. I don't know how often the power may go
out but if only a day or two a year, no big deal. If for a week at a
time, you can be sure I'll do more.

I was never able to justify a generator for 53 years but here, I may.

I lived without one for 33 years and Irma was really the only time I
needed it. After Charley the lights were back in a day. We went to bed
in the dark and the power coming on woke us up. The only reason I
bought one was someone made me a deal I couldn't refuse ($300 for one
new in a 10 year old box). He bought it after Charley (2004) and sold
it to me in 2014, never having even started it. He had oil in it and
pulled it over every year or two but did not put gas in it. .