Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inverter generator Do I need that?

On Sat, 25 May 2019 05:54:39 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 10:16:17 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2019 19:09:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm considering buying a generator. Just a portable that would keep the
refrigerator going, maybe the TV or internet. Nothing of higher power
demand and only for a few hours a day if power goes out after a
hurricane. AFAIK, this is not a really bad area for that and out lines
are underground so that help. But stuff happens. I'm in Florida now and
they do get hurricanes.

The inverters run a couple of hundred more from what I've seen. I'd
like to keep it down to less than $1k. I'm thinking 2,000 to 3000 watts
should handle my needs.

An inverter generator can be a lot quieter than a regular one because
it does not need to run at full speed under light load. Don't know
about in Florida, but up here you don't get a decent inverter unit for
under a grand. For your use you don't NEED an inverter unit - but
they sure are nice for camping etc where you want things quiet. GOOD
inverters are also better for sensitive electronics.

In addition to running quieter most of the time, an inverter one should
use less fuel too. But they are more expensive and have more electronics
that can fail too. I'd probably go with a regular type, but the noise
factor is worth considering. That also depends on how close you are to
neighbors, if you care, what they have, etc.

Since Ed has nat gas available, I would get one that will run on that.
There are companies that sell conversion kits for the common engines,
ones that will make it tri-fuel, so it will run on gas, nat gas or propane
and you can even switch back and forth. That way if you want to take it
elsewhere and run it on gasoline, you can. For ~$1000 should be able
to get a 5KW gen and conversion kit.

I would also do it right, get an Interlockit or better yet similar from
the maker of your panel, if available and an inlet. That way you can
very easily connect the generator when needed and power anything in the
house you choose, without cords and all that goes with that.
5KW should be fine for typical house, as long as you
don't expect to run big loads like AC, electric ovens, WH, etc.

More like $100. I got mine from US Carburetion and it was a tad over
$100. Installing it is easy. You remove the carb, swap out the studs
for longer ones, put the venturi plate in for the gas, replace the
carb and mount the regulator. I probably spent close top an hour doing
it but I could do another one in 15 minutes now that I understand what
needs to be done. The kits for the little inverters mount the
regulator remotely since there is no good place to put it on the
generator. There are actually 2 regulators, the demand regulator for
the engine itself and another one on the supply line to get the input
pressure right but you might not need that one on a natural gas setup.
I actually bought 2 of them for propane. One is on the big built in
tank line and I have another one so I can run off a 20# portable tank.
All in I was closer to $200 with all of the extra regulators and
hoses. It is handy to have the portable capability tho if I want to
use the generator away from the house and still not screw with
gasoline. Once you use propane, you will wonder why you ever messed
with gas. It starts easier and you do not need to worry about getting
every last drop of gas out of the system when you put it away.