Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Inverter generator Do I need that?

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 8:49:42 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 5/25/2019 7:39 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/25/2019 12:29 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2019 23:44:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/24/2019 11:11 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
I'm considering buying a generator.Â* Just a portable that would
keep the
refrigerator going, maybe the TV or internet.Â* Nothing of higher power
demand and only for a few hours a day if power goes out after a
hurricane.Â* AFAIK, this is not a really bad area for that and out
lines
are underground so that help.Â* But stuff happens. I'm in Florida
now and
they do get hurricanes.

The inverters run a couple of hundred more from what I've seen.Â* I'd
like to keep it down to less than $1k.Â* I'm thinking 2,000 to 3000
watts
should handle my needs.

I would not worry one way or the other about an inverter or not for the
equipment no matter what the hype is.Â* I run a large TV and
computers on
a regular 5 kw generator all the time during the power outages.Â* It
will
burn though a lot of gas if left running.

The main thing is how much gas do you want to use and store.Â* The
inverters usually use less , especially if not loaded too much.

I think Honda makes an inverter generator that is about 2 kw for right
at $ 1000.

I have to do some more checking, but mostly the fridge is the big value
thing to keep going.Â* Gas range and grill takes care of cooking, city
water.
A natural gas house should run fine on a little 2kw inverter. Look at
any 240v (2 pole) breakers in the panel because those pieces of
equipment are not going to work. The other issue is trying to put
transfer equipment on your panel will be tough too since you will only
be able to feed one phase. You also would have to be sure all 240v
breakers were tripped.
You might find it easier to just run on cords.
I suppose you could put in transfer equipment for a few circuits
pretty cheaply. It might be as easy as a 4" square box with 4 "3 way"
switches in it to move 4 circuits.

Â* My 5.5k B&S unit will run everything but my electric water heater ...
I have it set up to feed the main panel from the shop panel , including
240V stuff . We do minimize loads when we have to use the generator ,
and I usually have around 10 gallons of non-ethanol gas on hand for the
yard equipment plus the generator tank is kept filled with stabilized
non-ethanol gas - drained and replaced annually unless I've used the
unit enough to burn a full tank , which is seldom . Out here in the
woods we often lose power for a minute or two during really nasty
weather but I've never needed to run ours for more than a day or two .

Sounds just like what I have with the exception of going into the main
panel. Same generator and same amount of gas.

Use today does not extend beyond a day or two but 20 or so years ago I
recall a summer outage lasting a week. Summers you cannot miss a day or
two without AC or water but in the winter more than 2 days without heat
are what it took me to buy a generator. In Florida, AC would probably
bemost needed.

Ed could get a window unit for $125 to have on hand if needed to cool
a room or two in an emergency. If you had a hurricane and power is out
for a week, that would sure make a huge difference in comfort,
especially sleeping at night.