Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Inverter generator Do I need that?

On Fri, 24 May 2019 19:09:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm considering buying a generator. Just a portable that would keep the
refrigerator going, maybe the TV or internet. Nothing of higher power
demand and only for a few hours a day if power goes out after a
hurricane. AFAIK, this is not a really bad area for that and out lines
are underground so that help. But stuff happens. I'm in Florida now and
they do get hurricanes.

The inverters run a couple of hundred more from what I've seen. I'd
like to keep it down to less than $1k. I'm thinking 2,000 to 3000 watts
should handle my needs.

An inverter generator can be a lot quieter than a regular one because
it does not need to run at full speed under light load. Don't know
about in Florida, but up here you don't get a decent inverter unit for
under a grand. For your use you don't NEED an inverter unit - but
they sure are nice for camping etc where you want things quiet. GOOD
inverters are also better for sensitive electronics.