Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
micky micky is offline

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 24 May 2019 21:25:42 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:
In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 18 May 2019 14:45:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:

[]
Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u

It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.

I've just tried - the "DOS" in my system ("ver" returns "Microsoft
Windows [Version 6.1.7601]") doesn't mention u in the help returned by
dir /?, and if I enter dir /o:u, says

Parameter format not correct - "u".

JPG
--

Thanks for checking that out. That's why I like TCC/Le so much.

You're welcome.

I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
forget I had it after a while!)

https://jpsoft.com/products/tcc-le.html
https://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html TCC/Le is the free
one.

Take Command has even more features, I guess, but I can't imagine what
else I could use. TCC/le already has more than I can remember.

I think it's interesting that unsorted gets so little attention. I
would think that would be the standard format and you'd have to do
something to get things sorted.

I don't know what "DOS" dir actually does if you don't give it the /o:
parameter at all.

Alphabetical by file name.

[]
OTOH, my $16 gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter and lets me
plug in a flashdrive and transmits on FM to the car radio has no trouble
playing the songs in the order they are stored on the flashdrive.

I left something out. When watching the screen with RadioMaximus, you
can see that the caption, the song title, changes a little before the
song is over, and at least with the music stations I listen to (100FM
and 181FM), the songs are stored individually, but the first 2 or 3
seconds of each song is at the end of one file, and the next file starts
2 or 3 seconds into the song.

Well, with the $16 gizmo, I can't hear the transition at all, even when
I try, and I tried several times (and I didn't try 100's of times, but
would have noticed anyhow). It goes straight from one file to the next.
(If the songs didn't span files you'd expect a moment of silence between
them, but here there is no silence. It sounds perfect.)

But with every car radio, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, there was a
moment, a full second, of silence or maybe not even silence, but a tiny
thud or click, 2 or 3 seconds into every song.

Cheap is sometimes better.

I can't try it with my 2005 Toyota becaus it has no USB input (other
than one or another gizmo.)

(Not relevant, but it does amaze me how electronics has progressed. I
already had something to play MP3s [my SatNav/GPS], which I played
through a cassette adapter; when I had to change car, and got one that
didn't have a cassette slot, I was amazed to be able to get a fully
synthesized stereo FM transmitter gizmo for 3 pounds 20 [probably $3 in
US] - even with a rechargeable battery and charging circuitry built in.
[Though my faith was somewhat restored when I found it has the channels
transposed {which doesn't really bother me}.])

You're right.

Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

Oops - I had been deleting that for non-UK 'groups. The petition only
got 330 signatures in the six months anyway )-: [first threshold is
10,000 where you get a government reply (100,000 gets you a debate in
parliament)].

Wow.