Old May 15th 19, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

Windows relevance at the end.

Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)

And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**

And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
and that works fine too.)

So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.

It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

**In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
recorded so they might play in the order recorded.

Old May 15th 19, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 3:28:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I'm not surprised. I've got a bunch of movies on a USB drive,
which my Sony DVD player recognizes. They're listed in filename
order and when one ends the next one in alphabetical order starts
automatically. Given our penchant for movies with guns and
explosions and animated kids' films, it can make for a strange
marathon if we start a movie while puttering around the house.

Cindy Hamilton
Old May 15th 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Can you use some bulk rename utility to number then so the filenames
have a 3 digit # in front of the real file name? Bulk Rename Utility
is one that comes to mind.

I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
certain order too.

Al
Old May 15th 19, 08:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 3:28:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I'm not surprised. I've got a bunch of movies on a USB drive,
which my Sony DVD player recognizes. They're listed in filename
order and when one ends the next one in alphabetical order starts
automatically. Given our penchant for movies with guns and
explosions and animated kids' films, it can make for a strange
marathon if we start a movie while puttering around the house.

I normally listen to these podcasts when puttering
around or when long distance driving etc.
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/rn-podcasting/

Works very well on the iphone, they are downloaded automatically
and they play in date sequence when you get it to play from one
place in the series and keeps track of what you have heard before.

But have just got a google home mini for the much louder
speaker and a decent base around the house. Sounds great
but useless to tell it which particular podcast to play apart from
the latest and it doesn’t keep track of what you have played before.

Old May 15th 19, 09:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 May 2019 05:57:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I normally listen to these podcasts when puttering

Nobody gives a ****, you abnormal senile pest!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Old May 15th 19, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 15 May 2019 15:50:27 -0400, Big Al
wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

That would work. Is there any problem renaming every file on a flash
drive? Something about not being able to write to the drive too many
times?

Bigger question: Is it going to read the files in the order they are on
the drive? I think the answer must be yes.

Not like the car does and use alphabetical or some other order.

( BTW, the car displays the song number, and it will say first #651 for
example, then 652 next, then 653, even though they're by the same artist
and I know they were not recorded one after the other. )

I installed program, dl'd the manual but the flash drive is in the car
so I'll actually do this later. Thanks. Great idea.

I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
certain order too.

In the car I don't want the songs to lull me to sleep, but whatever
works for you.

Al

Old May 15th 19, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2019 22:28:13 +0300, micky
wrote:

[...]

I am not sure I follow all of this convoluted post but you can \make a
play list most players will honor with that DOS command
DIR *.MP3 /b /u playlist.m3u
That will give you a play list of all mp3 files (m3u file) in the
current directory.
Old May 15th 19, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

The easiest way to make play lists if you don't want some order DOS
will give you, use Winamp. You can drag and drop songs up and down the
list and save the play list you create once you get it the way you
like it.
Old May 15th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

It;s a Chrylser 300 RB"x" style stereo btw.
Old May 15th 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

You might want to do Properties on the files and see if they have
metadata recorded in them. Or look at the filenames for hints
as to what additional information might be present they could
use for ordering purposes.

If this was my collection, I'd probably edit it in Audacity and
break it into proper sections. But that would be a lot of work.
So each section can play independently (shuffled).

A recording coming over the air shouldn't have metadata (i.e. if
you were recording audio as samples). But the recording program
could be using some method to stamp them after reception (look
them up on an InternetDB somehow and stamp them).

This is a random MP3 I found on my disk drive, selected because
the way it was acquired made it likely to have metadata. This
didn't come in "hot" via streaming or anything. The file was
downloaded from the station site that would normally be
streaming it from their web page. You can see there is "stuff"
inside this file, that a digital player might latch onto for
genre or something. In this case the genre is "podcast".

https://i.postimg.cc/fW9mk69n/mp3-visible-metadata.gif

And I'm only recommending looking for that, if it isn't
apparent what field it is sorting on.

Since the metadata in that file is inside the file, it
will survive transfer to a USB stick and FAT32 and so on.

Paul