Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inverter generator Do I need that?

On Fri, 24 May 2019 17:35:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 24 May 2019 19:22:57 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

If you don't have a supply of gas stored and the problem/outage is
widespread, local gas stations won't be able to pump gas and/or you may
not be able to drive to one due to road conditions.

IIRC Florida may now require gas stations to have generators so pump
perorate. I believe FL passed a law related to evacuation routes.
Road conditions is another concern as you say.

The problem in the long term is not having the gasoline in the ground.
The generator law is more about evacuation, not living after the
storm.
Going into a storm I make sure I have 50 gallons of gas in cans and
that the boat and all of the cars/trucks are full. I also have a 125
gallon propane tank I keep full. That 50 gallons of gas and 125
gallons of propane is still less than 2 weeks on a 5.5 KW generator.
After Irma gas stations were coming back online in about 5-6 days and
we had a direct hit that pretty much when straight up I-75.

For the OP. the advantage of the inverter is if you really do have a
modest load, the generator can throttle down to handle the actual load
and not have to turn 3600 RPM no matter what the load is.
With light loads, gasoline lasts a lot longer.
I was burning 0.5 GPH gasoline and 0.8 GPH on Propane. with my old
school generator.
Inverter guys were bragging about a couple gallons a day with their
2kw Honda..