Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Inverter generator Do I need that?

On 5/24/2019 7:22 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/24/19 7:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm considering buying a generator.Â* Just a portable that would keep
the refrigerator going, maybe the TV or internet.Â* Nothing of higher
power demand and only for a few hours a day if power goes out after a
hurricane.Â* AFAIK, this is not a really bad area for that and out
lines are underground so that help.Â* But stuff happens. I'm in Florida
now and they do get hurricanes.

The inverters run a couple of hundred more from what I've seen.Â* I'd
like to keep it down to less than $1k.Â* I'm thinking 2,000 to 3000
watts should handle my needs.

Thing I wonder about is you need to keep enough gas on hand to run the
thing, possibly for a good while.

The gas gotta stay fresh- and storing a lot of it isn't safe. I know
there are stabilizers you can add to help keep fresh- but I wonder how
well they actually work- and how long they last.

If you don't have a supply of gas stored and the problem/outage is
widespread, local gas stations won't be able to pump gas and/or you may
not be able to drive to one due to road conditions.

My stabilized gas will last over 2 years. If can is not sealed or gas
exposed at length to air the stabilizer will not last as long.

It is a pain to store gas but if I had natural gas service I would run
the generator on that.

When I got my generator I put in a transfer panel to handle circuits I
needed like the well, furnace, refrigerator and freezer. I believe they
have smart systems today that can handle the whole house as long as
everything is not on at once so they manage it as such.