Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_] J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_] is offline

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

In message , micky
writes:
In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 18 May 2019 14:45:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:

[]
Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u

It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.

I've just tried - the "DOS" in my system ("ver" returns "Microsoft
Windows [Version 6.1.7601]") doesn't mention u in the help returned by
dir /?, and if I enter dir /o:u, says

Parameter format not correct - "u".

JPG
--

Thanks for checking that out. That's why I like TCC/Le so much.

You're welcome.

I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
forget I had it after a while!)

Take Command has even more features, I guess, but I can't imagine what
else I could use. TCC/le already has more than I can remember.

I think it's interesting that unsorted gets so little attention. I
would think that would be the standard format and you'd have to do
something to get things sorted.

I don't know what "DOS" dir actually does if you don't give it the /o:
parameter at all.
[]
OTOH, my $16 gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter and lets me
plug in a flashdrive and transmits on FM to the car radio has no trouble
playing the songs in the order they are stored on the flashdrive.

(Not relevant, but it does amaze me how electronics has progressed. I
already had something to play MP3s [my SatNav/GPS], which I played
through a cassette adapter; when I had to change car, and got one that
didn't have a cassette slot, I was amazed to be able to get a fully
synthesized stereo FM transmitter gizmo for 3 pounds 20 [probably $3 in
US] - even with a rechargeable battery and charging circuitry built in.
[Though my faith was somewhat restored when I found it has the channels
transposed {which doesn't really bother me}.])

Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

Oops - I had been deleting that for non-UK 'groups. The petition only
got 330 signatures in the six months anyway )-: [first threshold is
10,000 where you get a government reply (100,000 gets you a debate in
parliament)].
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The losses on both sides at Borodino [1812], 70 miles from Moscow, are the
equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing into an area of six square miles every five
minutes for the whole ten hours of the battle, killing or wounding everyone on
board. - Andrew Roberts on Napoleon, RT 2015/6/13-19