Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default OT Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/23/2019 11:50 AM, Leon wrote:

I have looked closely at sliding tables form my saw, SawStop even offers
one but like most they tend to make the saw less mobile. I move my TS
several times a day. soooooo the Dubby jigs get me through when I need
that type set up.

My TS is on a cabinet I built. It includes my jointer which is next to
the TS. The jointer fence is exactly the hight of the saw table, so acts
as a convenient extention to the saw. The jointer and motor probably
add 150-200 lbs to the saw cabinet. I have the whole thing on wheels, 2
heavy duty ones on one end and a caster you step on to lift the other
end. It all moves very easily, although I seldom need too, only if
ripping something over 10' maybe 12' and then it's only to put it on a
slight angle.

For me having a jointer, I did have one for years that I tied the dog
leash to, is probably like you buying a Domino. A cool tool but I
seldom buy rough cut lumber anymore, for that matter I seldom buy
anything but S4S. My time is more valuable than the small amount of
savings buying wood that has to be sized. Plus, I extensively use an
optimizing program that lets me tell what and how much material to buy.
That program imports from Skecthup so it is pretty darn accurate.

I use mine quite a lot actually, more for getting square edges than
anything, but it is required to get a good face on rough lumber for
planing. For sizing wood I of course use my planer. That's a tool I
waited WAY too long to buy. Dimensional lumber is not the right size for
stuff. For example, drawer sides should be 1/2" or 5/8" with few
exceptions. Table tops generally 1" to 5/4" and plenty of other examples
where store bought lumber is not the right size. It also makes your
lumber perfectly equal in thickness, making cutting tongues and glue ups
more accurate.

To all new-bee woodworkers. I highly recommend getting a good planer,
absolutely with a segmented spiral cutter head, as soon as possible.
Same with a jointer.

Whirligigs are fun though if you are old and done with large projects.

I have got to get into building smaller stuff.

You won't need to tell yourself to do that, your body/mind will let you
know.

Sometimes I just go in my shop, sit there with a coffee and think, man
this might be the worlds greatest shop. Jealous? Not hardly.

I do the same but think, this stuff, that began as a hobby, has paid for
itself many times over. If only my wife's stuff had only cost what I
have spent. 12 months ago she added a $12K sewing machine to her
collection.

Nothing wrong with that, if it keeps her entertained and productive.
Much better than spending 12k on a trip to Hawaii or something. The year
before I got married I bought my wife-to-be a sewing machine for
Christmas, I think she was expecting a ring... I have never been able to
get her to sew anything. She still has it too, almost no use on it.
I like tools, figured she would too... Not so much!
--
Jack