Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Blowtorch sputtering

On Wed, 22 May 2019 12:53:51 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

When I used it last week, I had occasional problems with it: switching
between "neat blue flame" & "orange flamethrower", occasionally going
out, & leaving some wet-looking stuff on the nozzle. Does this just
mean the tank is almost empty, or is there something wrong with the
handle/nozzle?

Most propane torches do this if liquid propane reaches the nozzle. Maybe there
is some sort of liquid in the tank, from sitting 20 years...

Should I replace it with a newer model? Any recommendations for
occasional plumbing jobs?

Try new tank first, maybe, depending on cost and other use?

And if the hose is still OK-ish, i.e. not cracked and stiff. Otherwise, depends:
"Orange flamethrower" mode is perfectly ok for garden or outdoor work, not so OK
in a loft...

Thomas Prufer