Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blowtorch sputtering

I've been using a late relative's spare blowtorch that he left at my
house ~20 years ago. It consists of an orange tank with a valve, a
rubber hose maybe 2 m long, and a handle/outlet with a valve, & two
hose clamps. (I don't use it very often.)

When I used it last week, I had occasional problems with it: switching
between "neat blue flame" & "orange flamethrower", occasionally going
out, & leaving some wet-looking stuff on the nozzle. Does this just
mean the tank is almost empty, or is there something wrong with the
handle/nozzle?

Should I replace it with a newer model? Any recommendations for
occasional plumbing jobs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:

I've been using a late relative's spare blowtorch

When I used it last week, I had occasional problems with it: switching
between "neat blue flame" & "orange flamethrower"

often means it needs warming up a bit before you start waving it around
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 May 2019 12:53:51 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

When I used it last week, I had occasional problems with it: switching
between "neat blue flame" & "orange flamethrower", occasionally going
out, & leaving some wet-looking stuff on the nozzle. Does this just
mean the tank is almost empty, or is there something wrong with the
handle/nozzle?

Did you have the fuel tank upright all the time you were using it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 May 2019 12:53:51 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

When I used it last week, I had occasional problems with it: switching
between "neat blue flame" & "orange flamethrower", occasionally going
out, & leaving some wet-looking stuff on the nozzle. Does this just
mean the tank is almost empty, or is there something wrong with the
handle/nozzle?

Most propane torches do this if liquid propane reaches the nozzle. Maybe there
is some sort of liquid in the tank, from sitting 20 years...

Should I replace it with a newer model? Any recommendations for
occasional plumbing jobs?

Try new tank first, maybe, depending on cost and other use?

And if the hose is still OK-ish, i.e. not cracked and stiff. Otherwise, depends:
"Orange flamethrower" mode is perfectly ok for garden or outdoor work, not so OK
in a loft...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2019 12:53, Adam Funk wrote:
I've been using a late relative's spare blowtorch that he left at my
house ~20 years ago. It consists of an orange tank with a valve, a
rubber hose maybe 2 m long, and a handle/outlet with a valve, & two
hose clamps. (I don't use it very often.)

When I used it last week, I had occasional problems with it: switching
between "neat blue flame" & "orange flamethrower", occasionally going
out, & leaving some wet-looking stuff on the nozzle. Does this just
mean the tank is almost empty, or is there something wrong with the
handle/nozzle?

You should be able to assess the tank by moving it about - you should
hear some gas slopping about. If its the small 4kg Calor type tank, then
you may be able to take it to a supplier and swap it for less than the
cost of a new tank.

I would give the torch a clean - make sure the nozzle is not full of
dust etc.

Should I replace it with a newer model? Any recommendations for
occasional plumbing jobs?

The type you have is probably better suited to extended use with lower
costs per hour. However its quite cumbersome for a quick job.

Something that fits on the top of a standard Propane or MAPP gas can is
ideal.

My favourite by far is the Rothenberger Super Fire 2. Since this has a
trigger operated mode where when you pull it, the torch lights and then
runs at your preset flame. When you let go, it extinguishes. That makes
it very easy and safe to use for plumbing applications - since you can
put it down without needing to worry about what you are about to set
light to. It also burns in any orientation from cold, and has a good
accurate swirl flame patten.

However they are rather pricey for occasional use. Ebay etc has some
more basic can mounted torches.

I have seen a few positive reviews of things like:

https://ebay.us/pO89RX

There also appears to be a knock off copy of the super fi

https://ebay.us/AFZN0d

(no idea how that compares in use though)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Adam Funk wrote :
I've been using a late relative's spare blowtorch that he left at my
house ~20 years ago. It consists of an orange tank with a valve, a
rubber hose maybe 2 m long, and a handle/outlet with a valve, & two
hose clamps. (I don't use it very often.)

When I used it last week, I had occasional problems with it: switching
between "neat blue flame" & "orange flamethrower", occasionally going
out, & leaving some wet-looking stuff on the nozzle. Does this just
mean the tank is almost empty, or is there something wrong with the
handle/nozzle?

Should I replace it with a newer model? Any recommendations for
occasional plumbing jobs?

Sounds like liquid gas (propane) getting through to the burner. Tank
needs to be upright, with the regulator at the highest point, to
prevent liquid coming out of the jet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 2:08:00 PM UTC+2, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:

I've been using a late relative's spare blowtorch

When I used it last week, I had occasional problems with it: switching
between "neat blue flame" & "orange flamethrower"

often means it needs warming up a bit before you start waving it around

+1. Waiting a few minutes before cranking it up to full flow seems to fix the problem frequently.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-22, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

I certainly like the idea of a dead-man switch on a blowtorch! I'll
take a look at that & the other links. Thanks.

Old Craftsman blowtorch [email protected] Metalworking 8 January 28th 16 08:48 PM
Mower runs for 10-15 minutes and then starts sputtering Ashton Crusher[_2_] Home Repair 0 July 14th 13 09:26 AM
Mower runs for 10-15 minutes and then starts sputtering Erik[_5_] Home Repair 2 July 14th 13 07:39 AM
Mower runs for 10-15 minutes and then starts sputtering [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 13th 13 09:25 PM
Hot supply sputtering / gate valves lister UK diy 13 August 12th 10 03:12 AM