Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carriage Lock Screw Revisited

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message There is a place called
Copper State bolt a lot closer to me than
Tractor Supply and on the fasteners they stock they are always better
priced than places like Tractor Supply, Cal-Ranch, and Home Depot. Also
better quality and better selection. Hate might not be too strong of a
word for the Hillman crap you find in most of those chain places. On the
other hand when I am trying to finish something on Saturday afternoon I've
been known to go to Lowes for a handful of grossly over priced stainless,
or yes "Yesh" Tractor Supply or Cal-Ranch for a three point pin or
bushing.

Side Note: Cal-Ranch is kind of a pleasant surprise. Their website is
total crap, but its quite the old fashion country hardware/general store.
Guns in the back. Tools and hardware on one side, and clothing on the
other... and its work clothing. Their fishing stuff is all kinda on the
cheap side, but they have one. If you miss the old stores like Yellow
Front, Fed-mart, or Fred's Corner Hardware they have done a decent job of
capturing some of that for a chain store. They are bigger, have wider
cleaner aisles, and a mix of decent and low end stuff, but the atmosphere
is more pleasant and less institutional. And if I need a MIG welding tip
on the weekend they have them. Not as cheap as 25 or 50 pack bags on Ebay,
but about the same price as the store brand at your local welding supply
store. The spray I use on my tractor came from them.

That's great for you.

We have a first class hardware store in southern NH
https://www.yelp.com/biz/county-stores-milford-2
but there's no point suggesting it to readers outside this area. I try
to recommend only things that can be bought new all over the USA,
although my shop is equipped mostly with New England antiques from
auctions and second-hand stores.

Cal-Ranch and Copperstate Bolt are both regional chains. Cal-Ranch is
growing. Not sure about Copperstate. Copperstate does have a decent
website. Not as good as McMaster, but decent.