Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carriage Lock Screw Revisited

On 2019-05-20, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've decided to go ahead and make a replacement screw with a sliding
handle (like a vise handle), but also with a hex on top "just in case."
This is a 14x40 lathe and there is plenty of clearance. Its not a
giant, but its decent size and there is room to work on it.

I have on 1144 stressproof, 4140QT, and cold rolled on hand. I have no
issue using the 1144 or the cold rolled, but I can't pick up 4140(QT
TGP) at a reasonable price locally. I hate to "burn it up" so to speak
on personal projects. Given the ease with which 1144 machines I am
concerned about shearing off threads on an 1144 bolt, but I have no
issue using it because I can just go get some more if I need it. The
cold rolled is really to soft IMO for making bolts.

I know the 4140 is tough as heck, and would make the most durable bolt,
but I hate to use it up if I don't have to.

I've made bolts using 12L14 -- free machining steel -- and they
have been strong enough for my needs. The 1144 sounds stronger, and the
4150QT may be more difficult to machine, depending. "QT" indicates some
particular temper?

(This isn't all I am doing, and its not "critical.")

So play with what you have and see how it machines.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail