Oscar_Lives

Default Attic Ventilation Expert Needed - North NJ Area

"jeff" wrote in message
et...
A powered gable vent does nothing but suck air in from the ridge if both
types
of vents coexist.

Well, the roofer is talking about adding a powered vent near the ridge,

not
at a gable end. However, since there are already two passive roof vents
near the ridge, my fear is that the fan would likely cause the two passive
roof vents to suck air in and short circuit the benefit of the fan.

I'm thinking about having soft vents installed plus additional passive

roof
vents near the ridge, and perhaps closing off the gable vents. Would a
series of passive vents near the ridge work well in conjunction with soft
vents? While I'm told a continuous ridge vent in conjunction with soft
vents is the state of the art, since there are already two passive square
vents near the ridge, I'm wondering if simply adding more passive square
vents would be a sufficient yet cost effective improvement, as long as I
also add soft vents. If I do this, then is closing off the gable vents a
must? What do you think?

Thanks.

Jeff

Just add more vents and don't close any of the existing ones. You need MORE
ventilation and any more you can add will help.

Make sure you have enough soffit vents.

Adding a power vent with other roof vents and/or a ridge vent would still be
helpful. That is a bunch of BS that it would be ineffective because it
would "short-circuit" the air. You need more ventilation. Any ventilation
would be good. Any.