Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carriage Lock Screw Revisited

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've decided to go ahead and make a replacement screw with a sliding
handle (like a vise handle), but also with a hex on top "just in
case." This is a 14x40 lathe and there is plenty of clearance. Its
not a giant, but its decent size and there is room to work on it.

I have on 1144 stressproof, 4140QT, and cold rolled on hand. I have
no issue using the 1144 or the cold rolled, but I can't pick up
4140(QT TGP) at a reasonable price locally. I hate to "burn it up"
so to speak on personal projects. Given the ease with which 1144
machines I am concerned about shearing off threads on an 1144 bolt,
but I have no issue using it because I can just go get some more if
I need it. The cold rolled is really to soft IMO for making bolts.

I know the 4140 is tough as heck, and would make the most durable
bolt, but I hate to use it up if I don't have to.

(This isn't all I am doing, and its not "critical.")

Grade 5 and 8 bolts are high strength, readily available and not
difficult to turn, mill or thread.