Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Orientation of bib taps?

On 2019-05-17, John Rumm wrote:

On 16/05/2019 17:24, Adam Funk wrote:

In practice, however, I installed two of these the same way but they
ended up pointing in slightly different directions, neither straight
down. I ended up packing a couple of fibre washers in each elbow
until I got the right direction. What am I missing?

IME, if they line up perfectly its just luck. Its easier to assume they
won't, and make sure you include enough sealing / locking material to do
the job. These days that tends to be PTFE tape or cord. (hemp etc is
banned on potable water supplies).

On further reflection, I might have used hemp on the old ones. I did
find (& throw away) some mouldy plumbing hemp in the cellar during a
clean-out a few years ago.

With tape you need to use *lots* (15 to 20 turns) of it winding on a few
turns at the end of the threads and then building up thickness toward
the back where the flange on the tap is. You can introduce a twist or
fold in the tape as you apply it to make it narrower, and build depth
more rapidly.

You can then screw it into the socket until the rotation feels stiff
enough to fix it in place. Then finally rotate however much additional
turn is required to get the required orientation.

Thanks.