Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Can not beat their prices

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 11:11:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2019 08:44:49 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 5/19/2019 8:24 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2019 07:29:52 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 5/18/2019 11:18 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

I've been buying all my eyeglasses from Zenni Optical.Â* The have a US
agent but glasses are made in China.Â* Similar glasses made here would
cost 5 times as much.Â* The eyeglass people are screwing us in the US.
You know, I'm not a commie.Â* The money I save goes to American brewers.
Better them than the eyeglass people here.

Might also mention that last glasses I bought in the US had a label on
the case that said "Made in China".

Many things are made in China, then sold by US companies. They buy from
China for almost nothing and mark it up big time.

Often on ebay and maybe other places you can order direct from China..
China has some very inexpensive postage that when it gets to the US, the
USPS looses money by delivering it . Did I mention no sales tax
either.

US glasses are a big ripoff. How do you justify over $ 100 for simple
plastic frames ?
Get slightly fancy and it can be $ 200 to $ 300.

That is exactly right. The Zenni Optical frames I like are memory
titanium costing about $25.

Maybe some of the cost drivers in the US are insurance paying for many.
My wife had cataract surgery and Medicare paid, I believe, 40% of the
cost for a new pair of glasses. Even then her out of pocket was nearly
$500. That is outrageous.

I had cataract surgery 4-5 years ago and Medicare paid 100% for the glasses.
As I recall my choice of frames was limited to 2 or 3.

That was about the time my wife had hers. Maybe there was a max because
glasses were expensive buying them at the eye doctor's business center.
She bought a 2nd pair elsewhere but I seem to recall that they were
maybe $350.

I don't think I've spent a total of $350 over the last 10 years or so
for the numerous pairs of glasses I have bought at Zenni.

The problem with glasses is one company owns most of the stores and
most of the major brands so they can charge what they like. As we now
know they are all made in china for pennies and that translates to
hundreds of dollars to you. The fact that insurance hides the cost
does not make it any less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdq2rIqAlM

Thanks for the 60 minutes story. I am glad that Walmart is a competitor of Luxxotica.

I buy my glasses there. Even the cheaper frames are well made.

When I get a new presription, I just order the lenses and they install the new lenses in my old frames.

I think Walmart caught on to it, as they now charge a $10 fee if you do not buy frames.

Andy