jeff

Default Attic Ventilation Expert Needed - North NJ Area

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm already aware that a continuous ridge/soffit
system is considered to be the state of the art. However, since my attic
already has two square passive vents near the ridge, I'm wondering if there
might be another satisfactory, yet cost effective, solution to my attic mold
problem than simply closing off all 4 of my existing vents and altogether
switching to a continuous ridge/soffit system.

My attic is 1000 square feet of crawl space. Suppose I were to have a roofer
add, say 2 or 3 additional square passive vents near the ridge. My roof
would then have a serious of, say, 4 or 5 square passive vents near the
ridge rather than having only 2 square vents near the ridge. Now suppose I
also had the roofer add soffit vents, and I were to close off the two
existing gable vents. Would having soffit vents plus a series of square
passive vents near the ridge function almost as well as a continuous
ridge/soffit system, or do you think my only valid option is to have a
contuous ridge vent installed?

Is there a way temperature or humidity-controlled fan-power vent could be
utilized to enhance my existing system, or should I stay away from a
fan-powered vent altogether.

Again, is my only valid option to have a contuous ridge/soffit system
installed or are there any other satisfactory yet cost effective solutions
(such as a series of passive square roof vents near the ridge combines with
soffit vents)? My attic is roughly 35 feet long by 28.5 feet wide. If a
series of square passive roof vents near the ridge would work well in
conjunction with soffit vents, then how many 9" vents would you recommend I
get installed?

Thank you, or anyone else for your advice. Just out of curiousity, is there
anyone out there who disagrees with the idea that my gable vents must be
closed off altogether in favor of a ridge/soffit system?

Jeff