Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fire wall in loft missing

On 18/05/2019 14:29, Darren Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

It looks as if you have a outgoing roof apex to the right so that wall
might have to reach some distance with possibly not much load support
beneath.

Hmm. Well spotted. I'd not even noticed that. Yes, now I think about it,
you are right. The bathroom (above the kitchen) is out the back there
so that makes sense.

Bugger, that makes it quite a bit bigger job than I thought. Ho hum.
Maybe I'll not be replacing the boiler then :-(

Guess I'll need to get some prices and try to find the neighbour, but
he is out of the country and I've no idea how to get in touch! This
is going to be quite a bit more expensive than I'd hoped :-(

Perhaps a firewall can be made of plasterboard?

https://www.british-gypsum.com/white...tions/firewall

I think there is a wall along there that should be ok, but I don't know
that for sure - as you say, it's not holding up the roof! So yeah,
plasterboard might be an option. Tiny loft hatch though, so that won't
help.

Putting in a larger loft hatch isn't abig job. Even easier if you use
one of the pre-made ones.

Lightweight concrete blocks have also been suggested - that sounds
easier to get up there, and to handle.

That'd probably be what I'd look at. You don't need any structural
strength, just something to stop fire spreading easily. Single skin
would probably be all you need too, but I don't know what the
regulations actually require.

SteveW