Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Boiler lifetime

On 18/05/2019 09:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Vir Campestris expressed precisely :
It's gone wrong, and the guy looking at it reckons it's had it. That's
a surprise to me... is it likely, or is he another cowboy?

Assuming it isn't repairable, what's the current view on boiler
manufacturers?

All boiler faults are repairable, bound to be parts available, but what
has to be considered is the cost versus likely life once repaired. What
has this guy said has failed on the boiler?

The more recent the boiler, the shorter their working life seems to be
and the more complex they become. First boiler, an old Glow Worm lasted
almost 30 years and repaired up a few times cheaply.

Yes. My parents' first boiler lasted about 37 years with only a
replacement "thermocouple" in that time and was still working fine when
they got rid of it.

They only got rid of it because it was behind the gas fire, in the
living-room, and prevented them changing the fire as no alternative
designs that fitted to it were in production.

The replacement wall-hung boiler, in the kitchen, has had a replacement
fan and two replacement control boards in the ten years since!

Our own experience has been our first boiler lasting 9 years, but with a
number of repairs (DIY fortunately - fan motor a couple of times,
pressure switch) and the final time (an internal leak and an
intermittent control board fault) it being only around £30 more to get a
new boiler than parts, due to a clearance sale locally. The replacement
(non-condensing) and fairly simple has been in about 17 years, but
suffers failed fan bearings every three years or so - which I can easily
replace.

SteveW