Old May 17th 19, 09:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Boiler lifetime

In 2010 my mother replaced her gas boiler. Old cast iron lump with
vertical flue with a Glow Worm. Supplied by British Gas. Even though I
told her not to...

It's gone wrong, and the guy looking at it reckons it's had it. That's a
surprise to me... is it likely, or is he another cowboy?

Assuming it isn't repairable, what's the current view on boiler
manufacturers?

The one she has is wall mounted, and it's got about 80cm headroom (above
the fridge, below the ceiling). Also the exhaust shouldn't be too high
up, it's a chalet style house.

Suggestions?

(Upstream seems to be Vaillant, WB, and Viessman)

Andy

Old May 17th 19, 09:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2019 21:43, Vir Campestris wrote:
In 2010 my mother replaced her gas boiler. Old cast iron lump with
vertical flue with a Glow Worm. Supplied by British Gas. Even though I
told her not to...

It's gone wrong, and the guy looking at it reckons it's had it. That's a
surprise to me... is it likely, or is he another cowboy?

Assuming it isn't repairable, what's the current view on boiler
manufacturers?

Why do you assume that? Most gas fitters, or their wives/partners, make
more money by dismantling and selling the bits. It's a very buoyant
market created by so many being persuaded to get a new boiler when the
old one just needs a new part.

Find out what's wrong and use ebay!
Old May 17th 19, 11:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 May 2019 21:43:19 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

In 2010 my mother replaced her gas boiler. Old cast iron lump with
vertical flue with a Glow Worm. Supplied by British Gas. Even though I
told her not to...

It's gone wrong, and the guy looking at it reckons it's had it. That's a
surprise to me... is it likely, or is he another cowboy?

Assuming it isn't repairable, what's the current view on boiler
manufacturers?

The one she has is wall mounted, and it's got about 80cm headroom (above
the fridge, below the ceiling). Also the exhaust shouldn't be too high
up, it's a chalet style house.

Suggestions?

(Upstream seems to be Vaillant, WB, and Viessman)

Andy

You haven't given us the slightest clue of information to assess whether it's had it. Do you think that might help?

NT
Old May 18th 19, 08:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem is that companies like British gas seem to always condemn
boilers and then offer what seems a good deal on a new one. I suspect some
kind of scam going on myself. I have a friend who went down this route and
the new one has been nothing but trouble cutting out and the old pipe work
making strange noises despite being flushed etc. Next time they will not be
so hasty to get new boiler I can tell you.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old May 18th 19, 09:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris expressed precisely :
It's gone wrong, and the guy looking at it reckons it's had it. That's a
surprise to me... is it likely, or is he another cowboy?

Assuming it isn't repairable, what's the current view on boiler
manufacturers?

All boiler faults are repairable, bound to be parts available, but what
has to be considered is the cost versus likely life once repaired. What
has this guy said has failed on the boiler?

The more recent the boiler, the shorter their working life seems to be
and the more complex they become. First boiler, an old Glow Worm lasted
almost 30 years and repaired up a few times cheaply.

We were persuaded to replace it with a more efficient condensing Ideal.
That was more complex, more complex to repair and became uneconomic to
continue repairing it due to cost of parts versus a new boiler. Present
one is a Vaillant, installed a year ago, has much better diagnostic
abilities built into it and a neat display.

Old May 18th 19, 10:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 May 2019 09:47:49 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

[...]

Diagnostic abilities?

The ability to diagnose part xxyyzz being defective and finding that
the part is obsolete or costs nearly as much as the original boiler?

Even the humble ink cartridge has diagnostic abilities these days. For
who's benefit though ? At one time boiler bits could be "adapted" to
fit and ink cartridges refilled but progress means that the very
semiconductors making up the diagnostic chain lock the consumer into
the suppliers pricing structure.

AB

Old May 18th 19, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq expressed precisely :
Diagnostic abilities?

The ability to diagnose part xxyyzz being defective and finding that
the part is obsolete or costs nearly as much as the original boiler?

Much like vehicles too, but would you want a vehicle these days as
basic as an Austin 7?

Our new Vailant can inteligently decide just how much heat it needs to
produce to meet its desired room temperatures, taking into
consideration the outdoor temperature and indoor. It doesn't overshoot,
rather it learns what is needed and can modulate right down to match
the demand. The pipes don't creak and moan anymore.

The previous boiler either ran and produced full heat, or none, though
it did modulate, it only modulated based on its internal temperature.
Old May 18th 19, 10:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 May 2019 10:33:20 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq expressed precisely :
Diagnostic abilities?

The ability to diagnose part xxyyzz being defective and finding that
the part is obsolete or costs nearly as much as the original boiler?

Much like vehicles too, but would you want a vehicle these days as
basic as an Austin 7?

Our new Vailant can inteligently decide just how much heat it needs to
produce to meet its desired room temperatures, taking into
consideration the outdoor temperature and indoor. It doesn't overshoot,
rather it learns what is needed and can modulate right down to match
the demand. The pipes don't creak and moan anymore.

The previous boiler either ran and produced full heat, or none, though
it did modulate, it only modulated based on its internal temperature.

Hmm! I don't disagree that the control abilities of modern systems are
impressive.

I had a range of logging apparatus at my disposal and when in the
company offices used a few USB loggers to check the temperature.

The day used to start ok but towards 5pm it was bloody freezing.

Logger at 8:00am 21 degrees

Logger at 5 pm and all the times between 21 degrees.

All this technology to keep a somewhat dodgy analogue electrochemical
device at a desired temperature. :-)

I should really have turned the heater down in the car for a few
months to see if it improved the office heating, but I wasn't keen on
that approach.

AB
Old May 18th 19, 11:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2019 09:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Vir Campestris expressed precisely :
It's gone wrong, and the guy looking at it reckons it's had it. That's
a surprise to me... is it likely, or is he another cowboy?

Assuming it isn't repairable, what's the current view on boiler
manufacturers?

All boiler faults are repairable, bound to be parts available, but what
has to be considered is the cost versus likely life once repaired. What
has this guy said has failed on the boiler?

The more recent the boiler, the shorter their working life seems to be
and the more complex they become. First boiler, an old Glow Worm lasted
almost 30 years and repaired up a few times cheaply.

Yes. My parents' first boiler lasted about 37 years with only a
replacement "thermocouple" in that time and was still working fine when
they got rid of it.

They only got rid of it because it was behind the gas fire, in the
living-room, and prevented them changing the fire as no alternative
designs that fitted to it were in production.

The replacement wall-hung boiler, in the kitchen, has had a replacement
fan and two replacement control boards in the ten years since!

Our own experience has been our first boiler lasting 9 years, but with a
number of repairs (DIY fortunately - fan motor a couple of times,
pressure switch) and the final time (an internal leak and an
intermittent control board fault) it being only around 30 more to get a
new boiler than parts, due to a clearance sale locally. The replacement
(non-condensing) and fairly simple has been in about 17 years, but
suffers failed fan bearings every three years or so - which I can easily
replace.

SteveW
Old May 18th 19, 11:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
The more recent the boiler, the shorter their working life seems to be
and the more complex they become. First boiler, an old Glow Worm lasted
almost 30 years and repaired up a few times cheaply.

Yes. My parents' first boiler lasted about 37 years with only a
replacement "thermocouple" in that time and was still working fine when
they got rid of it.

They only got rid of it because it was behind the gas fire, in the
living-room, and prevented them changing the fire as no alternative
designs that fitted to it were in production.

The replacement wall-hung boiler, in the kitchen, has had a replacement
fan and two replacement control boards in the ten years since!

A non balanced flue boiler is going to be about as inefficient as they
come.

You'd need to factor in the savings in gas costs as part of the
calculation.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.