Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Do floating shelves actually work?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 May 2019 00:51:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 16 May 2019 23:14:06 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:20:14 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets.
But I see these "floating shelves" advertised. I thought,
"What's holding them up?" Apparently there's no right angle involved,
just a screw going straight into the back of the shelf out of the
wall.
How can that possibly support anything?

Here's one style :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...648,43649&ap=1

It doesn't say how big the two screws on each support are, but why don't
they just get ripped out of the wall? When I make a shelf, there's a
bracket that goes below the shelf so it holds it up properly. Way too
much leverage without the screws lower down.

That's wrong too. There is no need for the lower screws, they just stop
the bracket sliding down the wall and the top screws do that fine. The
bracket pivots around the bottom edge of the bracket and it's the top
screws that stop the shelf tilting under load.

But if you consider a normal shelf bracket, there's half of it flat
against the wall, this stops the shelf bending downwards.

Yes, but again, it doesn't need screws at the bottom of that except to stop
the entire bracket swivelling around the top screw so it isnt vertical
anymore.