Andrew McKay

Default Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P)

On 23 Jul 2003 13:36:22 -0700,
(northern_relayer) wrote:

extracted from:
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN...n_id=2003_0133

For what it's worth I printed that web document and have just written
to my MP, making a few salient points about the probabilities relating
to electrical casualties which take place:

* Consumers who insist on using adaptors, allowing multiple appliances
to be plugged into a single socket, thus overloading the circuit.

* Damaged or badly maintained appliance cabling.

* Consumers who jury-rig their electrical installations without having
a clue nor caring about 'the wiring regulations'.

* Consumers who use improperly protected or unsuitable equipment in
the garden.

I made several other points as well, for good measure offering the
following:

* The chancellor is going to be pleased to find that I can no longer
pay as much tax to him, due to being prevented from working on simple
electrical enhancements (add a new light fitting, add a spur, etc).

* Consumers are going to have to wait a lot longer to get hold of an
electrician.

* Consumers are going to have to pay a lot more in order to take
advantage of this charter for registered electricians to charge more.

I would encourage others to write to their MP. It will almost
certainly achieve very little, but like a trained dog the more times
an MP hears something the more obedient he becomes towards sorting
something out. Don't forget that MP's aren't persuaded so much by the
quality of the mail they receive, but by the weight of the postal sack
containing the same message over and over again.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk