Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Do floating shelves actually work?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 May 2019 00:47:03 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 23:41:45 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 23:14:06 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:20:14 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets.
But I see these "floating shelves" advertised. I thought,
"What's holding them up?" Apparently there's no right angle involved,
just a screw going straight into the back of the shelf out of the
wall.
How can that possibly support anything?

Here's one style :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...648,43649&ap=1

It doesn't say how big the two screws on each support are,
but why don't they just get ripped out of the wall?

The " Instr " link on the web page does give more details :
" secure the base plate using a #8 x 1-1/2" (or longer)
flat-head screws "
.. that's for wood studs ; for metal studs - read the Instr. .
The weight bearing ability is in the product description.
John T.

A 1.5" screw doesn't sound like it could take much sideways force.

Depends on what you mean by sideways force. If you mean sliding
along the wall, it will work fine and not slide. If you mean being
pulled out of the wall along the long axis of the screw, it will work
fine with the right sized minimal hole.