Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Do floating shelves actually work?

I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets.
But I see these "floating shelves" advertised. I thought,
"What's holding them up?" Apparently there's no right angle involved,
just a screw going straight into the back of the shelf out of the wall.
How can that possibly support anything?

Here's one style :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...648,43649&ap=1

It doesn't say how big the two screws on each support are,
but why don't they just get ripped out of the wall?

The " Instr " link on the web page does give more details :
" secure the base plate using a #8 x 1-1/2" (or longer)
flat-head screws "
.. that's for wood studs ; for metal studs - read the Instr. .
The weight bearing ability is in the product description.
John T.

A 1.5" screw doesn't sound like it could take much sideways force.

A minimum of 4 x 1 1/2 inch or longer # 8 screws ;
into wood studs - and most folks aren't overly concerned
with a wall shelf's lateral forces ...
If the kids are swinging from the knick-knack shelves -
build them a climber in the yard !
John T.