Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Do floating shelves actually work?

Brian Gaff wrote

I hate them.

I don’t actually use them much, but that’s because I prefer proper
floor to ceiling shelves. I don’t even have a floating shelf for the
shower because I have a window ledge just out of the shower.

So often they are not tight and slide out leaving stickyout rods that are
invisible until you bump into one :-)

Yeah, obviously can be a problem for the blind.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Commander Kinsey wrote
I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets. But I see these
"floating shelves" advertised. I thought, "What's holding them up?"

There is usually rods that go into the wall. Can be a bit fiddly to
get them in the right place so they slide into the shelf properly.
Apparently there's no right angle involved, just a screw going straight
into the back of the shelf out of the wall. How can that possibly
support anything?

It's a decent sized pair of rods that stick out of the wall
that slide into holes in the shelves with most of them.