Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Do floating shelves actually work?

I hate them. So often they are not tight and slide out leaving stickyout
rods that are invisible until you bump into one :-)

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Commander Kinsey wrote
I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets. But I see these
"floating shelves" advertised. I thought, "What's holding them up?"

There is usually rods that go into the wall. Can be a bit fiddly to
get them in the right place so they slide into the shelf properly.
Apparently there's no right angle involved, just a screw going straight
into the back of the shelf out of the wall. How can that possibly
support anything?

It's a decent sized pair of rods that stick out of the wall
that slide into holes in the shelves with most of them.