Posted to alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Do floating shelves actually work?

On Thu, 16 May 2019 23:14:06 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:20:14 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets.
But I see these "floating shelves" advertised. I thought,
"What's holding them up?" Apparently there's no right angle involved,
just a screw going straight into the back of the shelf out of the wall.
How can that possibly support anything?

Here's one style :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...648,43649&ap=1

It doesn't say how big the two screws on each support are, but why don't they just get ripped out of the wall? When I make a shelf, there's a bracket that goes below the shelf so it holds it up properly. Way too much leverage without the screws lower down.