Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Do floating shelves actually work?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:27:29 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets. But I see these
"floating shelves" advertised. I thought, "What's holding them up?"

There is usually rods that go into the wall. Can be a bit fiddly to
get them in the right place so they slide into the shelf properly.

Apparently there's no right angle involved, just a screw
going straight into the back of the shelf out of the wall.
How can that possibly support anything?

It's a decent sized pair of rods that stick out of the wall
that slide into holes in the shelves with most of them.

But proper shelves have an angled bracket which can hold a lot of weight.

But plenty don't need to hold a lot of weight and prefer the cleaner
look of a floating shelf which has no visible brackets at all.

Nothing without a 45 degree support can hold weight.

That's wrong too. I do mine that need to hold a lot of weigh
with a floor to ceiling rectangular welded frames made of
dexion slotted tubing with shelves that are fully adjustable
on 25mm spacings with the frames bolted to the walls.

Just try holding a car battery at arms length. Now support your arm at
your elbow by using the other arm at 45 degrees.

See above.