Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wrong oil filter

On Monday, 13 May 2019 19:47:28 UTC+1, Jim wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:

I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann
w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one
has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine
given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

How long has it been running with the "wrong" filter in?

coming up for four years ......

30,000 miles

you'd have known about it long ago if it weren't passing oil when needed.

NT