Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wrong oil filter

I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann w79
to my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be
fitting a Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the
diesel one has a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to
my engine given that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is
blocked but also opens when the oil is cold etc.....

....and why would a diesel and a petrol engine have different inlet and
outlet bypass pressures ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2019 12:36, Jim wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann w79
to my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be
fitting a Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the
diesel one has a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to
my engine given that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is
blocked but also opens when the oil is cold etc.....

...and why would a diesel and a petrol engine have different inlet and
outlet bypass pressures ?

Diesels run at higher compression ratios. Although they don't see the
same peak load down the con-rod as during the "bang" of a petrol engine,
they generally use larger big-ends to keep the stress levels on the
white metal down. I can only assume they use different BP pressures for
related reasons.

That said, I wouldn't be panicking that you have wrecked your engine.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 May 2019 12:13:46 UTC+1, Jim wrote:

I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

Start engine, remove filler cap. You should know whether oil is circulating from cold. If not, switch off right away & replace filter. I wuoldn't expect a problem though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann w79
to my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be
fitting a Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the
diesel one has a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage
to my engine given that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is
blocked but also opens when the oil is cold etc.....

...and why would a diesel and a petrol engine have different inlet and
outlet bypass pressures ?

that is what I was wondering ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 13 May 2019 12:13:46 UTC+1, Jim wrote:

I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann w79
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one
has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine
given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

Start engine, remove filler cap. You should know whether oil is
circulating from cold. If not, switch off right away & replace filter. I
wuoldn't expect a problem though.

NT

good idea thanks ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" Wrote in message:
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

How long has it been running with the "wrong" filter in?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann w79
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one
has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine
given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

How long has it been running with the "wrong" filter in?

coming up for four years ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" Wrote in message:

"Jim" wrote in message

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann
w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one
has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine
given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

How long has it been running with the "wrong" filter in?

coming up for four years ......

30,000 miles

Think it'll be fine then.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:

"Jim" wrote in message

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann
w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel
one
has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine
given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but
also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

How long has it been running with the "wrong" filter in?

coming up for four years ......

30,000 miles

Think it'll be fine then.

good ...I've sent for a few of the specified w75/3 filters anyway.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 May 2019 19:47:28 UTC+1, Jim wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:

I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann
w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one
has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine
given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

How long has it been running with the "wrong" filter in?

coming up for four years ......

30,000 miles

you'd have known about it long ago if it weren't passing oil when needed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2019 19:47, Jim wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann
w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one
has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine
given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

How long has it been running with the "wrong" filter in?

coming up for four years ......

30,000 miles

= 7,500 miles per year. Why bother with diesel for that
mileage ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 13/05/2019 19:47, Jim wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:
I have just found out I have been fitting the wrong oil filter a Mann
w79 to
my petrol engine this seams to be for the diesel engined model even
though
it is the same size in all respects......I should have been be fitting a
Mann w75/3 .....This has a bypass pressure of 1.3 bar and the diesel one
has
a bypass pressure of 2.0......will I have done any damage to my engine
given
that the bypass doesn't only operate when the filter is blocked but also
opens when the oil is cold etc.....

How long has it been running with the "wrong" filter in?

coming up for four years ......

30,000 miles

= 7,500 miles per year. Why bother with diesel for that
mileage ?.

Maybe thats why hes running a petrol car?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 13/05/2019 19:47, Jim wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" Wrote in message:
[...]

I didn't and I have three cars....and an electric moped...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Andrew wrote:
On 13/05/2019 19:47, Jim wrote:

[...]