Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Red Prepper Red Prepper is offline

Default My First Punch and Die - Makers & Builders

On Sat, 11 May 2019 12:35:23 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:
Its pretty sad when I have to kill list my own thread because

regulars
keep replying to the trolls I already have blocked.

On 4/25/2019 8:24 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Back in the mid 90s atleast partly with help from this group I

made my
first "punch" and "die."* I needed to install some photo beams at

a port
of entry for a pedestrian counter.* I designed the "system" using

variety of parts and components, but I was concerned about the

photo
beams themselves.* They had something like a 5 year warranty, but

the
lenses were polycarbonate. Each set of beams had to be placed in

walkway between counters.* My concern was that people brushing by

would
quickly wear the lens as clothing bags, and misc items brushed

against
the sides of the walkway.* I didn't want to be that guy who

everybody
there got to know because I was always there fixing it.* I had

the idea
to recess the emitter and sensor so that only the most aggressive
brushing up against might contact the surfaces.* I looked all

over, but
nobody made a recessed electrical plate that I thought would

work.* I
took a piece of hot rolled (didn't even know what it was called

at the
time) and cut one pieces with a rectangular hole in it to mate

with the
back of an aluminum electrical blank plate.* I chamfered the

edges by
hand with a grinder so it was a decent fit.* Then I cut a small

piece to
mate with it about plate thickness smaller all the way around and

hand
chamfered it as well.* Then I just mashed a cover plate between

them
with my hydraulic press.* (had it for automotive work, not

machine
work)* It looked amazingly good.* I doubt the guys at GSA ever

noticed
that was a custom piece.

As a new (mostly black box) system it had its development issues,

but
lens wear of the emitter and sensor was not one of them.* It was

in use
for years until they went to a new system with some big

contractor at
all the ports.

That was definitely metal working.* I doubt it was really

machining
though except in the crudest sense.* I take that sort of approach

to a
lot of what I do.* I don't have a stick up my butt about being a
"machinist" "welder" "fabricator" "mechanic".* In fact my

knowledge is
lacking really in all of those areas even though now I make my

living as
a niche market mold maker. I can weld.* If its important to look

pretty
I do some practice welds and then do the real weld after I've

taken a
break and I am fresh.* If it just has to stick I burn it together

and
clean it up with a grinder.* I know less about welding than

almost
anybody else in this group, but oddly enough I have five electric
welders and an OA rig and I have welded parts still in use today

with
all but one of them.* (Just got a new AC/DC pulse TIG a couple

days
ago.)* Fabricator is a tough term to define, but I've built and
converted trailers a welding table wood storage rack and various

other
things to fit needs.A lot of welding there, but various other
fabrication skills as well.* Still I don't consider myself a
fabricator.* I do have people bring me things to make or fix, but

I turn
down a lot of it unless they are friends and they stay to help.*

What
about a machinist... No.* Just ask any old manual machinist.* I'm

just a
hack, button pushing, shade tree, wannabe by the very fact that I

never
serviced apprenticeship for 3 lifetimes in a steam powered line

shop.* LOL.

Since I'm no longer a contractor (retired and sold out) what does

that
make me?* There is a lot I don't know, but very few projects am I

afraid
to try to come up with a solution.* Atleast for myself.* I won't

always
take on projects for others.* If I don't know I learn how.* If I

can't
figure it out myself I ask questions.* If I don't have the

recommended
tools I think about it and see if I can find alternatives.* If I

still
have to have the tools I put them on the list and when I have

money I
buy them.

The term "Maker" always bothered me.* It didn't sound quite

right, but
ultimately I think that's what I am.* A maker.* I find ways to

make what
I need and I don't worry to much about being true to any

particular
trade.* If it works it works.

I'm a long time member of this group of course.* Saddens me to

see that
signal to nose ration what it is today.* I'm a member of various

other
groups.* Some very specialized around a particular piece of

equipment
like the Yahoo mailing list for the mini lathe and others more

broad
like Home Shop Machinist, so when I started my own group (on

Facebook)
what did I call it?* Makers & Builders.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MakersBuilders/ Visit or don't.*

I'm
good either way.

Its pretty sad when I have to kill list my own thread because

regulars
keep replying to the trolls I already have blocked.

The **** in a Dress poisons every well he stops to moisten his ****
at.