Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_3_] Bill Wright[_3_] is offline

Default 3D printers

On 08/05/2019 15:36, dennis@home wrote:
On 08/05/2019 14:09, Bill Wright wrote:
I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car
body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of
tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable, waterproof,
and quite tough. The ones I've made are entirely satisfactory except
for one thing: it takes too long to make them. So, I was wondering
about 3D printing. Are the products from these tough, waterproof, and
UV resistant?

Bill

Ignore TNP he doesn't have one, he just passes on useless info he read
somewhere that he can't remember if you ask him.

They can be if you use the right plastic.

ABS or Nylon would be the obvious choice.
Maybe wood filled PLA and give it a coat of paint/stain.

The tube adapter are probably best made from a flexible filament or PETG
as they don't beak when you bend them like PLA can.

It does depend on exactly how the part is designed as if its really thin
I would print a mould and cast it in glass filled resin for the actual
part.

Thank you. So all these different plastics are available as 'ink'?

Bill