Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3D printers

I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car
body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of
tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable, waterproof, and
quite tough. The ones I've made are entirely satisfactory except for one
thing: it takes too long to make them. So, I was wondering about 3D
printing. Are the products from these tough, waterproof, and UV resistant?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 14:09, Bill Wright wrote:
I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car
body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of
tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable, waterproof, and
quite tough. The ones I've made are entirely satisfactory except for one
thing: it takes too long to make them. So, I was wondering about 3D
printing. Are the products from these tough, waterproof, and UV resistant?

Bill

Not really.

Can't you make a simple mould for your fibre glass?

You could 3D print the mould...

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 14:09, Bill Wright wrote:
I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car
body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of
tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable, waterproof, and
quite tough. The ones I've made are entirely satisfactory except for one
thing: it takes too long to make them. So, I was wondering about 3D
printing. Are the products from these tough, waterproof, and UV resistant?

Bill

Ignore TNP he doesn't have one, he just passes on useless info he read
somewhere that he can't remember if you ask him.

They can be if you use the right plastic.

ABS or Nylon would be the obvious choice.
Maybe wood filled PLA and give it a coat of paint/stain.

The tube adapter are probably best made from a flexible filament or PETG
as they don't beak when you bend them like PLA can.

It does depend on exactly how the part is designed as if its really thin
I would print a mould and cast it in glass filled resin for the actual part.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 May 2019 14:09:09 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car
body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of
tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable, waterproof, and
quite tough. The ones I've made are entirely satisfactory except for one
thing: it takes too long to make them. So, I was wondering about 3D
printing. Are the products from these tough, waterproof, and UV resistant?

Of the two common printing plastics PLA is tough and waterproof but
most certainly not UV resistant, it is biodegradable. Polycarbonate
is tough and stable but is more idly to print with and requires a
higher printing temperature and a heated build plate for best results.
It is also very smelly when printing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can't you make a simple mouldÂ* for your fibre glass?

I'm using a mould. It still takes ages.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 15:36, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Thank you. So all these different plastics are available as 'ink'?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car
body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of
tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable, waterproof, and
quite tough. The ones I've made are entirely satisfactory except for one
thing: it takes too long to make them. So, I was wondering about 3D
printing. Are the products from these tough, waterproof, and UV resistant?

Of the two common printing plastics PLA is tough and waterproof but
most certainly not UV resistant, it is biodegradable. Polycarbonate
is tough and stable but is more idly to print with and requires a
higher printing temperature and a heated build plate for best results.
It is also very smelly when printing.

Thanks for that.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 20:31, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Thats just a small selection.

You can get rubber, carbon fibre filled, glass filled, various nylons,
polycarbonate and others.

Your printer may not be able to print them as some require higher
temperatures than the printer can manage,

You could go laser sintering too and print in metal but its expensive.

..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car
body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of
tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable, waterproof, and
quite tough. The ones I've made are entirely satisfactory except for one
thing: it takes too long to make them. So, I was wondering about 3D
printing. Are the products from these tough, waterproof, and UV
resistant?

Of the two common printing plastics PLA is tough and waterproof but
most certainly not UV resistant, it is biodegradable.Â* Polycarbonate
is tough and stable but is more idly to print with and requires a
higher printing temperature and a heated build plate for best results.
It is also very smelly when printing.

Thanks for that.

Bill

You can paint PLA to protect it from UV, it will only last a few years
if you don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Thank you. So all these different plastics are available as 'ink'?

Different materials come in different formats. PLA comes as a filament
on a drum, others come as a liquid resin. Different types of printer
use different materials.

It may be worth spending a bit of time on You Tube looking at different
types of printers at work to get a better idea of what is involved.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car
body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of
tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable, waterproof, and
quite tough. The ones I've made are entirely satisfactory except for one
thing: it takes too long to make them. So, I was wondering about 3D
printing. Are the products from these tough, waterproof, and UV resistant?

Of the two common printing plastics PLA is tough and waterproof but
most certainly not UV resistant, it is biodegradable. Polycarbonate
is tough and stable but is more idly to print with and requires a
higher printing temperature and a heated build plate for best results.
It is also very smelly when printing.

Polycarbonate is not naturally UV resistant. Polycarbonate glazing has a
UV resistant coating. A house I used to own had a conservatory where the
previous owner had put some polycarbonate hollow section roof sheets on
the wrong way up. Those sheets were like Swiss cheese, while the others
were still sound.

I would go for ABS or nylon for outdoor use.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

ABS can be quite tricky to print with if its a big part and no heated
chamber.

If being a bit brittle doesn't matter then I would just spray PLA with
an etching primer.

You can anneal PLA in an oven and make it tougher and more heat
resistant according to other, I have never tried it as I tend to print
non-structural models.
Apparently it shrinks a lot when you do it so some trials would be
needed to get the dimensions correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 15:53, dennis@home wrote:
On 09/05/2019 09:32, Nightjar wrote:

I would go for ABS or nylon for outdoor use.

ABS can be quite tricky to print with if its a big part and no heated
chamber...

I don't think either material is suitable for the simpler hobby printers.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 09:00, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/05/2019 15:53, dennis@home wrote:
On 09/05/2019 09:32, Nightjar wrote:

I would go for ABS or nylon for outdoor use.

ABS can be quite tricky to print with if its a big part and no heated
chamber...

I don't think either material is suitable for the simpler hobby printers.

I used to print everything in ABS but I blew the main board on the
printer I made a cabinet for and haven't got around to fixing even
though I bought a main board, drives and LCD for £6 in an amazon sale.

Decided the bed was too small and bought and ender 3.
Not used the ABS on it yet.

Service Manuals - Electronics,Audio,TV,Monitors,Copiers,Printers [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 December 20th 05 02:52 AM
Service manual for Canon PIXMA iPx000 printers? John Q Electronics Repair 5 April 5th 05 03:38 PM
USB PRINTERS West Midlands, UK. UK diy 9 February 9th 05 10:37 PM
GREATE MANUAL TO DESASSEMBLY AND REPAIR NEARLY ALL PRINTERS batteryman Electronics Repair 1 September 29th 04 08:54 PM
For Sale!!! Brand New $ 50.00 EPSON C84 Ink Jet, Photo Printers 825! [email protected] Metalworking 0 July 7th 04 06:24 PM