Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CD-ROM drive.

Attempting to fix an Audio Solutions CD jukebox. Basically a CD player
with an HD that you can rip CDs to. HD and CD look to be standard PC parts.

It the CD player drawer which is sticking. Won't open (from closed) on the
button or close fully if you open it manually. But does motor most of the
way to either. Cleaned it up and re-greased the bits which were greased
before, and the drive belt looks OK, but still the same.

A very common fault at Repair Cafes.

No 1 cause of this is the grease has gone sticky, sometimes combined
with dust too, but hopefully you replaced all that.

No 2 cause is the tray motor has a burned out a pole, and when it stops
in certain positions, it can't start again or has very little torque.
Measure motor continuity whilst slowly turning it through one turn.

I diagnosed one of these just recently, and we had no spares, but
afterwards the owner found another drive with an identical motor at home
and swapped it across successfully.

--
Andrew Gabriel