Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CD-ROM drive.

Attempting to fix an Audio Solutions CD jukebox. Basically a CD player
with an HD that you can rip CDs to. HD and CD look to be standard PC parts.

It the CD player drawer which is sticking. Won't open (from closed) on the
button or close fully if you open it manually. But does motor most of the
way to either. Cleaned it up and re-greased the bits which were greased
before, and the drive belt looks OK, but still the same.

The drive is a Lite-On LTN 529S, IDE.

I've got a couple of spare ancient CD drives that still work, but they are
longer than this one so won't fit. But the one I tried (a Packard Bell)
did work OK with it, so it may be near any CD-ROM would be OK.

The older drive is about 210mm long. The Lite-On about 180mm.

Looked on Ebay, and can find a new Lite-On in the US, but going to be too
expensive.

Anyone guess at an equivalent that is going to be cheaper? Is there an
easy way of identifying between the long and short drives in an Ebay ad by
description?

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone guess at an equivalent that is going to be cheaper? Is there an
easy way of identifying between the long and short drives in an Ebay ad by
description?

Google image search for "CDROM drive IDE"

Should be able to eyeball one that is slightly longer than it's width.

Ah OK, I'm bored....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-CDU5...e/192826922398

Specs
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-c...ve-ide-series/

Lite-on were a known OEM for Sony.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Don't know about ebay, but checking the specs on the drive makers web
site will usually tell you.

FYI the dimensions of an Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Re-Writer, SATA, 24x are
listed as 146 x 170 x 41 mm - (WxDxH). I usually pay about a tenner for
those. They also rip audio very quickly - typically doing a whole CD in
under 3 mins.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2019 12:39, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Oops, missed the bit about being IDE...

I have a LG CD/RW model CGE 8527B from c. 2005 you can have if you want.
Its 170mm deep.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Don't know about ebay, but checking the specs on the drive makers web
site will usually tell you.

FYI the dimensions of an Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Re-Writer, SATA, 24x are
listed as 146 x 170 x 41 mm - (WxDxH). I usually pay about a tenner
for those. They also rip audio very quickly - typically doing a whole
CD in under 3 mins.

Oops, missed the bit about being IDE...

I have a LG CD/RW model CGE 8527B from c. 2005 you can have if you want.
Its 170mm deep.

Not certain a R/W drive would work with the inbuilt software driver? I've
no idea how old the unit is.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

https://www.ebuyer.com/161334-starte...rter-ide2sat25

And use a new sata drive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 May 2019 11:31:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[...]

Bugger.

Just slung a couple of IDE CD drives for recycling yesterday because
nobody these days would want one.

Sod's Law, innit?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Don't know about ebay, but checking the specs on the drive makers web
site will usually tell you.

FYI the dimensions of an Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Re-Writer, SATA, 24x are
listed as 146 x 170 x 41 mm - (WxDxH). I usually pay about a tenner
for those. They also rip audio very quickly - typically doing a whole
CD in under 3 mins.

Oops, missed the bit about being IDE...

I have a LG CD/RW model CGE 8527B from c. 2005 you can have if you want.
Its 170mm deep.

Not certain a R/W drive would work with the inbuilt software driver? I've
no idea how old the unit is.

IIUC RW drives look exactly the same from a SW point of view - the
command set for CD read is just a subset of those that also write. I am
happy to lob it your way to try it if you want?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Don't know about ebay, but checking the specs on the drive makers web
site will usually tell you.

FYI the dimensions of an Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Re-Writer, SATA, 24x are
listed as 146 x 170 x 41 mm - (WxDxH). I usually pay about a tenner
for those. They also rip audio very quickly - typically doing a whole
CD in under 3 mins.

Oops, missed the bit about being IDE...

I have a LG CD/RW model CGE 8527B from c. 2005 you can have if you want.
Its 170mm deep.

Not certain a R/W drive would work with the inbuilt software driver? I've
no idea how old the unit is.

I've got an even older Relisys DVD ROM drive from 2002 lying about doing
nothing. Taken out of a previous PC and replaced with a R/W as I
remember. It was working OK when removed so should be OK. It is 198mm to
front of facia. You can have that one as well if it is any use to you.
John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For me its not the length but some imponderable issues that give me a pain
in the neck. Putting aside the serial and ide versions for the moment as
there are e conversion boards. I find two things. Some older CD/DVD drives
cannot actually write to blank CDS currently on offer from Maxell at all,
but other drives do, so it has to be internal firmware related.
Second. Two very new drives Sartor produce discs very unlikely to work in
other drives especially if they are audio cds. Its as if the data is not
really there strongly enough and trying to skip tracks or read the index of
said discs gives a searching error after a few seconds. Sometimes writing at
very slow speeds can help.
Older drives are much better at this writing.
When you say length. I find it hard to believe the designers of this device
did not allow for standard variations in length. My pc of several years ago
simply has slots for the screws to allow it to slide back to look level.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yeah which is unplayabeble afterwards....

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Attempting to fix an Audio Solutions CD jukebox. Basically a CD player
with an HD that you can rip CDs to. HD and CD look to be standard PC
parts.

It the CD player drawer which is sticking. Won't open (from closed) on
the
button or close fully if you open it manually. But does motor most of the
way to either. Cleaned it up and re-greased the bits which were greased
before, and the drive belt looks OK, but still the same.

The drive is a Lite-On LTN 529S, IDE.

I've got a couple of spare ancient CD drives that still work, but they
are
longer than this one so won't fit. But the one I tried (a Packard Bell)
did work OK with it, so it may be near any CD-ROM would be OK.

The older drive is about 210mm long. The Lite-On about 180mm.

Looked on Ebay, and can find a new Lite-On in the US, but going to be too
expensive.

Anyone guess at an equivalent that is going to be cheaper? Is there an
easy way of identifying between the long and short drives in an Ebay ad
by
description?

Don't know about ebay, but checking the specs on the drive makers web site
will usually tell you.

FYI the dimensions of an Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Re-Writer, SATA, 24x are
listed as 146 x 170 x 41 mm - (WxDxH). I usually pay about a tenner for
those. They also rip audio very quickly - typically doing a whole CD in
under 3 mins.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The daft thing is that I have a Panasonic dvd ripper to usb stick machine I
bought from Amazon at under 40 quid. it does work but to me is a little
limited in what it can do. Its a fair cd player, but has that annoyance of
not playing classical cds with track markers without a glitch at every one.
Rubbish firmware?
Brian

--
----- --

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 04/05/2019 12:39, John Rumm wrote:
Attempting to fix an Audio Solutions CD jukebox. Basically a CD player
with an HD that you can rip CDs to. HD and CD look to be standard PC
parts.

It the CD player drawer which is sticking. Won't open (from closed) on
the
button or close fully if you open it manually. But does motor most of
the
way to either. Cleaned it up and re-greased the bits which were greased
before, and the drive belt looks OK, but still the same.

The drive is a Lite-On LTN 529S, IDE.

I've got a couple of spare ancient CD drives that still work, but they
are
longer than this one so won't fit. But the one I tried (a Packard Bell)
did work OK with it, so it may be near any CD-ROM would be OK.

The older drive is about 210mm long. The Lite-On about 180mm.

Looked on Ebay, and can find a new Lite-On in the US, but going to be
too
expensive.

Anyone guess at an equivalent that is going to be cheaper? Is there an
easy way of identifying between the long and short drives in an Ebay ad
by
description?

Don't know about ebay, but checking the specs on the drive makers web
site will usually tell you.

FYI the dimensions of an Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Re-Writer, SATA, 24x are
listed as 146 x 170 x 41 mm - (WxDxH). I usually pay about a tenner for
those. They also rip audio very quickly - typically doing a whole CD in
under 3 mins.

Oops, missed the bit about being IDE...

I have a LG CD/RW model CGE 8527B from c. 2005 you can have if you want.
Its 170mm deep.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Don't know about ebay, but checking the specs on the drive makers web
site will usually tell you.

FYI the dimensions of an Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Re-Writer, SATA, 24x are
listed as 146 x 170 x 41 mm - (WxDxH). I usually pay about a tenner
for those. They also rip audio very quickly - typically doing a whole
CD in under 3 mins.

Oops, missed the bit about being IDE...

I have a LG CD/RW model CGE 8527B from c. 2005 you can have if you
want. Its 170mm deep.

Not certain a R/W drive would work with the inbuilt software driver?
I've no idea how old the unit is.

IIUC RW drives look exactly the same from a SW point of view - the
command set for CD read is just a subset of those that also write. I am
happy to lob it your way to try it if you want?

Thanks John. I've got a couple of CD R/W drives I could try to make sure
the system works before putting you to the trouble. ;-)

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

In case it's any help, I'm happy to let you have a Lite-On CD-RW/DVD-ROM
that's also 170mm long. It was working when removed...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the offer. I was basing my idea that only a CD-ROM would work
on my ancient Acorns, which had them as standard. To use a R-W - or a DVD
type involved new software.

But it's got a bit more curious. The original drive has an open/close
switch on it. Not used, as there is a separate button for this which
presumably does it via software. If I use this switch, it opens and closes
just fine.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2019 08:32, Brian Gaff wrote:

The daft thing is that I have a Panasonic dvd ripper to usb stick machine I
bought from Amazon at under 40 quid. it does work but to me is a little
limited in what it can do. Its a fair cd player, but has that annoyance of
not playing classical cds with track markers without a glitch at every one.
Rubbish firmware?

No, its a feature of many bits of playback software. Some can manage
gapless playback like later versions of Winamp, and also a program
called foobar2000. Apparently it should also be in VLC version 4 when
that is out of beta.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2019 15:12, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/05/2019 08:32, Brian Gaff wrote:

The daft thing is that I have a Panasonic dvd ripper to usb stick
machine I
bought from Amazon at under 40 quid. it does work but to me is a little
limited in what it can do. Its a fair cd player, but has that
annoyance of
not playing* classical cds with track markers without a glitch at
every one.
* Rubbish firmware?

No, its* a feature of many bits of playback software. Some can manage
gapless playback like later versions of Winamp, and also a program
called foobar2000. Apparently it should also be in VLC version 4 when
that is out of beta.

I'd have gone with rubbish firmware.

Compressed music has to be a whole number of blocks. Good software would
move the track marker a tad to make sure there isn't a bit of silence
between the files.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Attempting to fix an Audio Solutions CD jukebox. Basically a CD player
with an HD that you can rip CDs to. HD and CD look to be standard PC parts.

It the CD player drawer which is sticking. Won't open (from closed) on the
button or close fully if you open it manually. But does motor most of the
way to either. Cleaned it up and re-greased the bits which were greased
before, and the drive belt looks OK, but still the same.

A very common fault at Repair Cafes.

No 1 cause of this is the grease has gone sticky, sometimes combined
with dust too, but hopefully you replaced all that.

No 2 cause is the tray motor has a burned out a pole, and when it stops
in certain positions, it can't start again or has very little torque.
Measure motor continuity whilst slowly turning it through one turn.

I diagnosed one of these just recently, and we had no spares, but
afterwards the owner found another drive with an identical motor at home
and swapped it across successfully.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2019 02:03, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

No 2 cause is the tray motor has a burned out a pole, and when it stops
in certain positions, it can't start again or has very little torque.

I have the opposite.

A Rotel CD player with a tray that behaves like the cash register in
Open All Hours.

It has character, so I've not bothered fixing it

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 May 2019 13:45:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But it's got a bit more curious. The original drive has an open/close
switch on it. Not used, as there is a separate button for this which
presumably does it via software. If I use this switch, it opens and
closes just fine.

That is a bit wierd. Checked any limit switches for correct operation
and switching and/or any optical ones (fluff...).

Is that "open/close switch" an electronic one or a mechanical one
that releases the mechanisum allowing it to be opened manually?

If electronic maybe the hardware version just drives the stepper
motors the required number of steps ignoring (some of?) the sensors.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2019 13:45:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But it's got a bit more curious. The original drive has an open/close
switch on it. Not used, as there is a separate button for this which
presumably does it via software. If I use this switch, it opens and
closes just fine.

That is a bit wierd. Checked any limit switches for correct operation
and switching and/or any optical ones (fluff...).

Is that "open/close switch" an electronic one or a mechanical one
that releases the mechanisum allowing it to be opened manually?

If you think of those old CD-ROM drives, they all had a switch for open
close. And often a headphone socket. And an analogue sound output on the
back. As well as a mechanical release - usually requiring a small
screwdriver or opened up paper clip.

If electronic maybe the hardware version just drives the stepper
motors the required number of steps ignoring (some of?) the sensors.

Not a stepper motor for the tray. Only two terminals.

--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a couple of old machines Im about to junk, at least
One has a CD ROM in it (cant measure it from here)

If you havent found a solution in a couple of days, PM me and Ill take a look.

firstname dot lastname at lastnamecommunications
dot co dot uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have a couple of old machines Im about to junk, at least
One has a CD ROM in it (cant measure it from here)

If you havent found a solution in a couple of days, PM me and Ill take a look.

firstname dot lastname at lastnamecommunications
dot co dot uk

Cant be too careful giving out your email address on USENET but on the
face of it, this looks like a riddle too far...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
I have a couple of old machines Im about to junk, at least
One has a CD ROM in it (cant measure it from here)

If you havent found a solution in a couple of days, PM me and Ill take a look.

firstname dot lastname at lastnamecommunications
dot co dot uk

Cant be too careful giving out your email address on USENET but on the
face of it, this looks like a riddle too far...

I've had a valid E-Mail address here on Usenet for more than 20 years
and get very little junk E-Mail sent to it, maybe one or two a week.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
I have a couple of old machines Im about to junk, at least
One has a CD ROM in it (cant measure it from here)

If you havent found a solution in a couple of days, PM me and Ill take a look.

firstname dot lastname at lastnamecommunications
dot co dot uk

Cant be too careful giving out your email address on USENET but on the
face of it, this looks like a riddle too far...

I've had a valid E-Mail address here on Usenet for more than 20 years
and get very little junk E-Mail sent to it, maybe one or two a week.

Ditto. My comment about cant be too careful was tongue in cheek.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Cant be too careful giving out your email address on USENET but on the
face of it, this looks like a riddle too far...

I've had a valid E-Mail address here on Usenet for more than 20 years
and get very little junk E-Mail sent to it, maybe one or two a week.

The email address I'm using here is actually valid too, and I occasionally
clear out all the junk. But I never use it for real, hence the bit in my
sig.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cant be too careful giving out your email address on USENET but on the
face of it, this looks like a riddle too far...

Tim

Well, at this end, it says the post is from Me, but I assume youse all see my dear departed address.

Which many (including dave?).

Know is one of the Chris Holmeses

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
I have a couple of old machines Im about to junk, at least
One has a CD ROM in it (cant measure it from here)

If you havent found a solution in a couple of days, PM me and Ill
take a look.

firstname dot lastname at lastnamecommunications
dot co dot uk

Cant be too careful giving out your email address on USENET but on the
face of it, this looks like a riddle too far...

I've had a valid E-Mail address here on Usenet for more than 20 years
and get very little junk E-Mail sent to it, maybe one or two a week.

I get even fewer with mine that I list on usenet, but
it is gmail which has by far the best spam filter around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 May 2019 06:05:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I've had a valid E-Mail address here on Usenet for more than 20 years
and get very little junk E-Mail sent to it, maybe one or two a week.

I get even fewer with mine

Of COURSE, you auto-contradicting senile arsehole! How could it be
different, you abnormal pathological idiot! tsk

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This discussion on names reminds me......

I wonder if Matthew still walks among us in pseudonym form?