Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Crimp sleeve or alternate ideas...

On 5/5/2019 2:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 5 May 2019 08:21:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/5/2019 7:49 AM, dpb wrote:

There's somewhat under an inch left past the face plate; it has to have
sufficient clearance to be pushed inward by about a 1/4-3/8 inch to
engage the clock-setting function; so the knob can't use up the whole
length--hence the wish to extend the shaft somewhat again...the broken
pieces are roughly 5/8" in length...

The above I see is somewhat misleading -- that's to the face of the
clock face itself, not the covering face...there's only about 1/4" or
less past the outer cover.

So you need something with a bore of 1/8 inch about half an inch deep
- about an inch and an eighth long? How far past the end of the shaft
did the knob extend? What diameter is/was the knob?. How big can it be
where it passes through the plastic face plate?

OK, I did actually take the phone and rule to take some
pictures...actually, the shaft is 3/16", not 1/8" -- sorta' obvious
after being awakened by reality--a 1/8" OD with the slot woulda' left
nothing at all to speak of.

I've got pictures of another shaft that is still intact as well as the
stub end of the remainder in question as well as the knob -- you'll
recognize it as quite common but I just couldn't find an online picture
for one. It's just under inch long and 1/2" OD at base with the formed
flats for gripping...

That wipes out my Nicopress idea; know I have nothing that big but makes
finding something to use for starting point easier, I'm sure...

The existing opening in the oven plastic cover is right at 3/8" so a
wall thickness of =1/16" would still go thru and be stout enough to
take a good squeeze. I suppose it wouldn't be totally impossible to
remove the clock and manage to even drill it for a tiny roll pin or the
like if wanted to get esoteric...altho I don't have much of a set up for
precision work--farm stuff doesn't tend to need much precision;
everything I have is basically for big, rough work.