Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crimp sleeve or alternate ideas...

The old pot metal split ends for push-on style knob for the oven
timer/clock finally broke leaving the end of the 1/8" OD shaft.

As it is obsolete and no longer available and the oven/ragne itself is
also of a style no longer produced that do not want to give up, the need
is to be able to repair...

It's long enough stub that if could find a crimp-style butt connector,
think could manufacture a replacement split shaft or cut the end off a
sacrificial product and attach for the knob to push on to...

I'm not thinking of right search terms to be finding anything that meets
my idea...have some old telephone wire nicopress that are just a little
too small...

Or, other ideas also welcomed...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 May 2019 13:54:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

The old pot metal split ends for push-on style knob for the oven
timer/clock finally broke leaving the end of the 1/8" OD shaft.
As it is obsolete and no longer available and the oven/ragne itself is
also of a style no longer produced that do not want to give up, the need
is to be able to repair...
It's long enough stub that if could find a crimp-style butt connector,
think could manufacture a replacement split shaft or cut the end off a
sacrificial product and attach for the knob to push on to...
I'm not thinking of right search terms to be finding anything that meets
my idea...have some old telephone wire nicopress that are just a little
too small...
Or, other ideas also welcomed...

The metal post broke ? I've seen the old plastic knobs crack at
the insertion point .. from heat & age & cheapness.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 May 2019 13:54:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

The old pot metal split ends for push-on style knob for the oven
timer/clock finally broke leaving the end of the 1/8" OD shaft.

As it is obsolete and no longer available and the oven/ragne itself is
also of a style no longer produced that do not want to give up, the need
is to be able to repair...

It's long enough stub that if could find a crimp-style butt connector,
think could manufacture a replacement split shaft or cut the end off a
sacrificial product and attach for the knob to push on to...

I'm not thinking of right search terms to be finding anything that meets
my idea...have some old telephone wire nicopress that are just a little
too small...

Or, other ideas also welcomed...

If you are not in love with that particular knob you could get a
1/8x1/4" bushing, epoxy it on the shaft and use a set screw type 1/4"
knob. There are plenty of styles in that category
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes...it's the style with a kerf down the middle of end of shaft leaving
the two semi-circular halves...one half had been broken off for quite
some time, finally the other gave way, too...

Of course, it's really cheap/weak metal shaft so it's not like it's all
that much torque to twist as there's very little cross-sectional area left.

The knob itself is just fine...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 6:30:54 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

How about a piece of copper tubing or similar that will slip over it?
Then maybe drill a larger hole in the knob to receive it, together
with glue? You'd probably have to break it if you ever need to get it
off, but given the choices, I could live with that. I suppose if you
have numbered drills and can size it right, you could get it so that the
knob would press fit on tight enough, maybe with just a tiny bit of glue?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 May 2019 17:30:43 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

What type of control is it? Can you point us to a picture? Is this
the part that adjusts the clock?
What brand stove/oven? Can the shaft be readily removed from the
timer? Are you sure it''s pot metal? Zinc or aluminum? definitely not
ferrous?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 May 2019 17:30:43 -0500, dpb wrote:

Yes...it's the style with a kerf down the middle of end of shaft leaving
the two semi-circular halves...one half had been broken off for quite
some time, finally the other gave way, too...

Of course, it's really cheap/weak metal shaft so it's not like it's all
that much torque to twist as there's very little cross-sectional area left.

The knob itself is just fine...

What type of control is it? Can you point us to a picture? Is this
the part that adjusts the clock?
What brand stove/oven? Can the shaft be readily removed from the
timer? Are you sure it''s pot metal? Zinc or aluminum? definitely not
ferrous?

A) Clock/timer functions
B) I've not found any; have to take one a post link...tomorrow, maybe.
C) Yes, and all the timed operation functions and timer
D) mid-80s GE -- specific parts unavailable(*)
D) "Readily?" probably not. Theoretically possible? Maybe...
E) Yes/Not Al/Yes

(*) In past there's been listed alternate electronic module altho I've
not checked whether it's still available or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2019 6:17 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 6:30:54 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

The metal post broke ? I've seen the old plastic knobs crack at
the insertion point .. from heat & age & cheapness. John T.

Yes...it's the style with a kerf down the middle of end of shaft leaving
the two semi-circular halves...one half had been broken off for quite
some time, finally the other gave way, too...

Of course, it's really cheap/weak metal shaft so it's not like it's all
that much torque to twist as there's very little cross-sectional area left.

The knob itself is just fine...

How about a piece of copper tubing or similar that will slip over it?

Well, that was my idea...excepting I'm finding nothing of suitable ID/OD
for the sleeve which is the Q? ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 May 2019 00:44:54 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

Provide actual model number please.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 May 2019 09:37:24 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/3/2019 6:17 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 6:30:54 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

The metal post broke ? I've seen the old plastic knobs crack at
the insertion point .. from heat & age & cheapness. John T.

Yes...it's the style with a kerf down the middle of end of shaft leaving
the two semi-circular halves...one half had been broken off for quite
some time, finally the other gave way, too...

Of course, it's really cheap/weak metal shaft so it's not like it's all
that much torque to twist as there's very little cross-sectional area left.

The knob itself is just fine...

How about a piece of copper tubing or similar that will slip over it?

Well, that was my idea...excepting I'm finding nothing of suitable ID/OD
for the sleeve which is the Q? ...

solid brass - drill to fit - or solid aluminum drill to fit, or tube
of either with too small ID and drill to fit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2019 11:48 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 00:44:54 -0500, dpb wrote:

What type of control is it? Can you point us to a picture? Is this
the part that adjusts the clock?
What brand stove/oven? Can the shaft be readily removed from the
timer? Are you sure it''s pot metal? Zinc or aluminum? definitely not
ferrous?

A) Clock/timer functions
B) I've not found any; have to take one a post link...tomorrow, maybe.
C) Yes, and all the timed operation functions and timer
D) mid-80s GE -- specific parts unavailable(*)
D) "Readily?" probably not. Theoretically possible? Maybe...
E) Yes/Not Al/Yes

(*) In past there's been listed alternate electronic module altho I've
not checked whether it's still available or not.

Provide actual model number please.

GE JBV42G

I did go ahead and order one of the electronic replacement modules just
to have on hand if all else fails while they're still
available...ordered the magnetron some time back to stick on shelf--the
unique item with these ranges is the microwave is the full-size oven
itself and the kitchen in the old farm house simply has no room to put a
free-standing microwave...so, having that feature that is no longer
available by any manufacturer is _a_big_deal_ in keeping it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2019 11:49 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 09:37:24 -0500, dpb wrote:
On 5/3/2019 6:17 PM, trader_4 wrote:

How about a piece of copper tubing or similar that will slip over it?

Well, that was my idea...excepting I'm finding nothing of suitable ID/OD
for the sleeve which is the Q? ...

solid brass - drill to fit - or solid aluminum drill to fit, or tube
of either with too small ID and drill to fit.

If had milling or lathe facilities, yes...

If could find something suitable OD already pre-drilled even smaller,
yes, that might be do-able; but so far haven't found the magic part...

Altho, actually, a Nicopress #10 SWG might be just the ticket...have to
go rummage around and see what's left from the days we used to have to
keep up our own phone line to connect to main switchboard in town...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 May 2019 12:41:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

?

That timer was problematic - the replacement electronic timer is an
excellent way to keep the unique oven functional for years to come.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 May 2019 13:22:32 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/4/2019 11:49 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 09:37:24 -0500, dpb wrote:
On 5/3/2019 6:17 PM, trader_4 wrote:

How about a piece of copper tubing or similar that will slip over it?

Well, that was my idea...excepting I'm finding nothing of suitable ID/OD
for the sleeve which is the Q? ...

solid brass - drill to fit - or solid aluminum drill to fit, or tube
of either with too small ID and drill to fit.

If had milling or lathe facilities, yes...

If could find something suitable OD already pre-drilled even smaller,
yes, that might be do-able; but so far haven't found the magic part...

Altho, actually, a Nicopress #10 SWG might be just the ticket...have to
go rummage around and see what's left from the days we used to have to
keep up our own phone line to connect to main switchboard in town...

What diameter do you need on the ID?
Where are you located? Don't need a mill - just a lathe - which I have
in the garage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2019 7:22 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

I've not mic'ed it, but it looks like nominal 1/8" diameter shaft...

As for location, SW corner KS...I didn't get to to the look-see for what
Nicopress sleeves happen to still be out in the barn...I know there are
a couple boxes or so, just what size(s) they may be I don't know...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2019 7:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 12:41:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

?

That timer was problematic - the replacement electronic timer is an
excellent way to keep the unique oven functional for years to come.

How so? Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the timer/clock itself is
still fully functional; just lost the handle. Pliers work, but are
somewhat inconvient, the missus says...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

We use 1/4" plastic tubing that is fairly stiff. It slides
over 1/8" tube fittings
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 May 2019 20:26:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/4/2019 7:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 12:41:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

?

That timer was problematic - the replacement electronic timer is an
excellent way to keep the unique oven functional for years to come.

How so? Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the timer/clock itself is
still fully functional; just lost the handle. Pliers work, but are
somewhat inconvient, the missus says...

I just read they were known to be a problem. Yours has worked well,
but apparently some didn't.

What you basically need is a knob about 3/8 inch long with a long
hollow shaft to fit over the 1/8 inch stub that you can epoxy on -
right? How much of the 1/8 inch shaft do you have left to work with
(that you can slip the new shaft over)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 May 2019 23:40:01 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 4 May 2019 20:26:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/4/2019 7:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 12:41:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

?
That timer was problematic - the replacement electronic timer is an
excellent way to keep the unique oven functional for years to come.

How so? Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the timer/clock itself is
still fully functional; just lost the handle. Pliers work, but are
somewhat inconvient, the missus says...

I just read they were known to be a problem. Yours has worked well,
but apparently some didn't.

What you basically need is a knob about 3/8 inch long with a long
hollow shaft to fit over the 1/8 inch stub that you can epoxy on -
right? How much of the 1/8 inch shaft do you have left to work with
(that you can slip the new shaft over)?

I already suggested getting a 1/8" x 1/4" bushing and finding another
knob or drilling out his to 1/4".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2019 12:52 AM, wrote:

I already suggested getting a 1/8" x 1/4" bushing and finding another
knob or drilling out his to 1/4".

Indeed you did; but I ain't found such...yet, anyways...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2019 10:40 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 20:26:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/4/2019 7:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 12:41:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

?
That timer was problematic - the replacement electronic timer is an
excellent way to keep the unique oven functional for years to come.

How so? Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the timer/clock itself is
still fully functional; just lost the handle. Pliers work, but are
somewhat inconvient, the missus says...

I just read they were known to be a problem. Yours has worked well,
but apparently some didn't.

What you basically need is a knob about 3/8 inch long with a long
hollow shaft to fit over the 1/8 inch stub that you can epoxy on -
right? How much of the 1/8 inch shaft do you have left to work with
(that you can slip the new shaft over)?

Interesting. I'd never run across that in searching for other
pieces/parts over the years...of the things that have had to repair,
this is the first time the timer/clock has ever been an issue -- altho,
when the first half of the two splines (for lack of better name) broke a
number of years ago I looked for replacement then, but the mechanical
clock/timer was already obsolete/unavailable. Of course, almost
everything else is, too, and has been for 20+ years.

There's somewhat under an inch left past the face plate; it has to have
sufficient clearance to be pushed inward by about a 1/4-3/8 inch to
engage the clock-setting function; so the knob can't use up the whole
length--hence the wish to extend the shaft somewhat again...the broken
pieces are roughly 5/8" in length...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2019 7:49 AM, dpb wrote:

There's somewhat under an inch left past the face plate; it has to have
sufficient clearance to be pushed inward by about a 1/4-3/8 inch to
engage the clock-setting function; so the knob can't use up the whole
length--hence the wish to extend the shaft somewhat again...the broken
pieces are roughly 5/8" in length...

The above I see is somewhat misleading -- that's to the face of the
clock face itself, not the covering face...there's only about 1/4" or
less past the outer cover.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/19 1:54 PM, dpb wrote:
The old pot metal split ends for push-on style knob for the oven
timer/clock finally broke leaving the end of the 1/8" OD shaft.

As it is obsolete and no longer available and the oven/ragne itself is
also of a style no longer produced that do not want to give up, the need
is to be able to repair...

It's long enough stub that if could find a crimp-style butt connector,
think could manufacture a replacement split shaft or cut the end off a
sacrificial product and attach for the knob to push on to...

I'm not thinking of right search terms to be finding anything that meets
my idea...have some old telephone wire nicopress that are just a little
too small...

Or, other ideas also welcomed...

--

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2019 8:34 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688

Interesting! Thanks...da..n! They be proud of 'em, though, ain't
they!!??? One could think they were painted JD green.

Q? says are D-shaped shaft, but perhaps could file a flat onto existing
shaft. Doesn't give a shaft diameter...not one there to go look at and
is 60+ mi drive, anyway, but interesting there is such an animal...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 May 2019 09:27:28 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/5/2019 8:34 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688

Interesting! Thanks...da..n! They be proud of 'em, though, ain't
they!!??? One could think they were painted JD green.

Q? says are D-shaped shaft, but perhaps could file a flat onto existing
shaft. Doesn't give a shaft diameter...not one there to go look at and
is 60+ mi drive, anyway, but interesting there is such an animal...

I bet that is for a 1/4 " shaft, based on dimensions

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 May 2019 08:21:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/5/2019 7:49 AM, dpb wrote:

There's somewhat under an inch left past the face plate; it has to have
sufficient clearance to be pushed inward by about a 1/4-3/8 inch to
engage the clock-setting function; so the knob can't use up the whole
length--hence the wish to extend the shaft somewhat again...the broken
pieces are roughly 5/8" in length...

The above I see is somewhat misleading -- that's to the face of the
clock face itself, not the covering face...there's only about 1/4" or
less past the outer cover.

So you need something with a bore of 1/8 inch about half an inch deep
- about an inch and an eighth long? How far past the end of the shaft
did the knob extend? What diameter is/was the knob?. How big can it be
where it passes through the plastic face plate?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 May 2019 09:27:28 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/5/2019 8:34 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688

Interesting! Thanks...da..n! They be proud of 'em, though, ain't
they!!??? One could think they were painted JD green.

Q? says are D-shaped shaft, but perhaps could file a flat onto existing
shaft. Doesn't give a shaft diameter...not one there to go look at and
is 60+ mi drive, anyway, but interesting there is such an animal...

Very readily available for 6mm shafts - not so common for the
smaller sizes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 May 2019 09:27:28 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/5/2019 8:34 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688

Interesting! Thanks...da..n! They be proud of 'em, though, ain't
they!!??? One could think they were painted JD green.

Q? says are D-shaped shaft, but perhaps could file a flat onto existing
shaft. Doesn't give a shaft diameter...not one there to go look at and
is 60+ mi drive, anyway, but interesting there is such an animal...

Another suggestion - check around for an odometer resetting knob
from a car or bike speedometer.They are generally niceand long and
about the right size. Check your local bike recycler or bike shop and
see if they hace something that would fit - even with a bit of
modification. Or the clock adjuster knob from an old car clock - - -

Something like THIS:
https://www.cb750faces.com/cb750face...ith-shaft.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2019 2:56 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

... Check your local bike recycler or bike shop ...

That's a city mindset/expectation ... VBG

Small towns standing alone for 60-100 mi radius just can't support such
relatively low-volume businesses, unfortunately.

If it ain't oil patch or farm production related, it just ain't at all
likely going to be available locally...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 May 2019 14:05:18 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 5 May 2019 09:27:28 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/5/2019 8:34 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688

Interesting! Thanks...da..n! They be proud of 'em, though, ain't
they!!??? One could think they were painted JD green.

Q? says are D-shaped shaft, but perhaps could file a flat onto existing
shaft. Doesn't give a shaft diameter...not one there to go look at and
is 60+ mi drive, anyway, but interesting there is such an animal...

I bet that is for a 1/4 " shaft, based on dimensions

It is - 6mm diameter and 4.6mm thickness on the "D" section - for
standard control knobs.

He needs a clock reset or odometer reset knob from a car or motorcycle
- or perhaps a shaft connector from a hobby shop -like
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12136

Or perhaps something like this:
https://catalog.nordex.com/pc1398_11979
if you can find a supplier (or nab a sample from the manufacturer?)

Check local hobby shop for 3.18mm (1/8") hobby motor shaft couplings.
or stepper motor coupling. Many are 3.18mm X4mm - used on 3d printers
and other light duty robotics applications.
Or check FleaBay. Lots available CHEAP out of PRC with free shipping
if you don't mind waiting a few weeks -- - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2019 7:49 AM, dpb wrote:

There's somewhat under an inch left past the face plate; it has to have
sufficient clearance to be pushed inward by about a 1/4-3/8 inch to
engage the clock-setting function; so the knob can't use up the whole
length--hence the wish to extend the shaft somewhat again...the broken
pieces are roughly 5/8" in length...

The above I see is somewhat misleading -- that's to the face of the
clock face itself, not the covering face...there's only about 1/4" or
less past the outer cover.

So you need something with a bore of 1/8 inch about half an inch deep
- about an inch and an eighth long? How far past the end of the shaft
did the knob extend? What diameter is/was the knob?. How big can it be
where it passes through the plastic face plate?

OK, I did actually take the phone and rule to take some
pictures...actually, the shaft is 3/16", not 1/8" -- sorta' obvious
after being awakened by reality--a 1/8" OD with the slot woulda' left
nothing at all to speak of.

I've got pictures of another shaft that is still intact as well as the
stub end of the remainder in question as well as the knob -- you'll
recognize it as quite common but I just couldn't find an online picture
for one. It's just under inch long and 1/2" OD at base with the formed
flats for gripping...

That wipes out my Nicopress idea; know I have nothing that big but makes
finding something to use for starting point easier, I'm sure...

The existing opening in the oven plastic cover is right at 3/8" so a
wall thickness of =1/16" would still go thru and be stout enough to
take a good squeeze. I suppose it wouldn't be totally impossible to
remove the clock and manage to even drill it for a tiny roll pin or the
like if wanted to get esoteric...altho I don't have much of a set up for
precision work--farm stuff doesn't tend to need much precision;
everything I have is basically for big, rough work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 May 2019 15:22:04 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/5/2019 2:56 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

... Check your local bike recycler or bike shop ...

That's a city mindset/expectation ... VBG

Small towns standing alone for 60-100 mi radius just can't support such
relatively low-volume businesses, unfortunately.

If it ain't oil patch or farm production related, it just ain't at all
likely going to be available locally...

You telling me the Grubbies don't have a Harley shop within 100
miles? They must put a lot of miles on their pickups hauling their
scoots back and forth from the dealer!!! Gotta be a few old bikes in a
scrap-pile SOMEWHERE in your corner of Kansas. I know ANYTHING is few
and far between in Kansas and Oklahoma - I've driven through both -
but there's lots of junk around -at least there was in '76 when I
drove down to the Nats in Tulsa - - - A lot of it was on the road
disguised as a street rod too - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2019 7:49 AM, dpb wrote:

[...]

order https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12436 and cut the existing
shaft back with your dremmel so there is just enough play to allow you
to push it in to adjust. The adapter is 3/4" long and about 1/2 inch
in diameter. Make a new shaft to fit the knob. you could use an old
nail in a pinch - lots of them on the farm I'm sure!! If you don't
have a dremel style rotary tool now you have an excuse to get one.
Then you just need to figure out how to fit the knob to your new shaft
- or find another knob to fit - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/19 9:27 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/5/2019 8:34 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688

Interesting!Â* Thanks...da..n! They be proud of 'em, though, ain't
they!!??? One could think they were painted JD green.Â*

Q? says are D-shaped shaft, but perhaps could file a flat onto existing
shaft.Â* Doesn't give a shaft diameter...not one there to go look at and
is 60+ mi drive, anyway, but interesting there is such an animal...

Maybe it will at least spark an idea. Speaking of Mr. Deere.....
Would you happen to have an old Dickey John monitor or some such
back in a shed somewhere? Don't those old things use knobs? Maybe
the knob would be offset far enough back to let that shortened shaft work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/19 9:27 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/5/2019 8:34 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688

Interesting!Â* Thanks...da..n! They be proud of 'em, though, ain't
they!!??? One could think they were painted JD green.Â*

Q? says are D-shaped shaft, but perhaps could file a flat onto existing
shaft.Â* Doesn't give a shaft diameter...not one there to go look at and
is 60+ mi drive, anyway, but interesting there is such an animal...

Amazon has stuff like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Range-Kleen-Replacement-Knob-Shaft-Extender-4-Pack-82001/204661688

Case-IH pricing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/5/2019 2:56 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

... Check your local bike recycler or bike shop ...

That's a city mindset/expectation ... VBG

Small towns standing alone for 60-100 mi radius just can't
support such relatively low-volume businesses, unfortunately.

Mine does, it has 3 of them in fact. They flog everything from
chainsaws to lawn mowers to motorbikes to bikes to quad bikes.

If it ain't oil patch or farm production related, it
just ain't at all likely going to be available locally...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 May 2019 09:47:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That's a city mindset/expectation ... VBG

Small towns standing alone for 60-100 mi radius just can't
support such relatively low-volume businesses, unfortunately.

Mine does,

Nobody gives a ****, senile Ozzietard!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2019 6:47 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/5/2019 2:56 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Â*... Check your local bike recycler or bike shop ...

That's a city mindset/expectation ... VBG

Small towns standing alone for 60-100 mi radius just can't support
such relatively low-volume businesses, unfortunately.

Mine does, it has 3 of them in fact. They flog everything from
chainsaws to lawn mowers to motorbikes to bikes to quad bikes.

Must be different folks in that-there small town, then...

I don't think I've seen a bike for sale anywhere in town in the 20 year
we've been back...and, come to think of it, not that many kids in town
actually have bikes it seems. Maybe the two are somehow related???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
On 5/5/2019 2:56 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

... Check your local bike recycler or bike shop ...

That's a city mindset/expectation ... VBG

Small towns standing alone for 60-100 mi radius just can't support such
relatively low-volume businesses, unfortunately.

Mine does, it has 3 of them in fact. They flog everything from
chainsaws to lawn mowers to motorbikes to bikes to quad bikes.

Must be different folks in that-there small town, then...

I don't think I've seen a bike for sale anywhere in town in the 20 year
we've been back...and, come to think of it, not that many kids in town
actually have bikes it seems. Maybe the two are somehow related???

As many of the adults here ride bikes as kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 May 2019 13:07:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don't think I've seen a bike for sale anywhere in town in the 20 year
we've been back...and, come to think of it, not that many kids in town
actually have bikes it seems. Maybe the two are somehow related???

As many of the adults here ride bikes as kids.

Are you sure, senile Rodent? Senilely sure again? VBG

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."